Keeping Busy

This year I am starting a second MAPS banding station and of course I waited till the last second to set both of the stations. I have had to pull multi flora rose thorns out of my leg, been bitten by bugs, scratched my eye with a stick, blisters are on my hands and I am just tired for working till 9pm each night. This evening I finally have gotten everything ready for one of the stations to be open and hope to finish setting up the second station tomorrow evening sometime (before the weather gets iffy again).

Stewart's Soda and Ice-cream

I went straight for a Stewarts Root Beer and some ice-cream after getting home this evening. As I was holding my Root Beer, I thought about this wonderful NPR story that they did about the word-of-mouth promotion of products. Here is my personal promotion for Stewarts Beverages .

Hmm my beverage of choice after spending numerous hours opening a banding station!!”

IO Moth IO Moth

Great News! When I came home yesterday evening, I had realized that my IO Moth had just emerged from its pupa. Last fall I placed the caterpillar into a container of leaves and wrapped it itself up with leaves. I had over wintered it in my cold porch and I was just starting to give up on it thinking it wouldn’t come out. Then yesterday was its day to emerge and fly away to make many more moths.

IO Moth Caterpillar

The photo above shows what the IO Moth caterpillar looks like and is an individual that I raised a few years ago. What was interesting about this IO Moth was that it emerged as a female and I placed it outside in a cage. Only two hours later it had attracted a male IO moth (with its pheromones) and they were already doing the first process of making many more moths. I let them finish what they were doing and then released her to lay her eggs. The moth that emerged yesterday was a male so there is no reason for keeping him.

1. How, pray tell, do you determine a moth’s sex?
    ( I am surprised I could even read the rest of your blog without drooling over that icecream and Stewart’s root beer–the best!)

29 May 2007 at 11:14 pm

2. Well, their are special moth parts that you can look at through the hand lens! Yeah, Stewarts!

29 May 2007 at 11:33 pm

3. I don’t like Root Beer but my son utterly adores it. It is his soda of choice when he’s allowed a soda. He’d love the sight of that snack of yours. For me, the ice cream with chocolate sauce. YUM! 🙂

The moths and caterpillars are totally cool. Thanks!

30 May 2007 at 12:03 am

4. That’s quite the caterpillar!-I like Stewart’s sodas too.-I’ll bet if you had that dessert before a morning walk, it would give you quite the burst of energy.

30 May 2007 at 5:46 am

5. I have a set of vintage nesting bowls like that one. O man. Ice cream. My weakness.

30 May 2007 at 7:39 am

6. A&W is my root beer of choice, preferably in a frosty mug at a drive-in! What a beautiful moth.

Do you really eat your ice cream with a fork? Is that a New York thing?

30 May 2007 at 8:57 am

7. @ Liz, thanks and their is nothing like a good stewart’s root beer! But Ice-cream is a fave of mine!
    @ Larry – I bet it would and is worth a try!! 😉
    @ jenni – I have two ever more vintage bowls and all three were given to me by an old girlfriend!
    @ Lynne – lol, no I use a spoon for my ice-cream! I was hoping no one would notice the fork but I have it in their for the fork group that I am a member of in flickr! If you click on the link, go to the side where the groups this picture is located, you can see the group that I am talking about!

30 May 2007 at 9:09 am

8. Root beer and chocolate sundae….an excellent reward for a hard day of work!

The IO moth is so beautiful. I have only seen one in the wild once and didn’t even know what it was. Fortunately my brother was along and he is a fount of information (on everything!) and he was able to identify it for me. How cool for you to be a “moth parent.”

30 May 2007 at 9:23 am

So that’s what we are doing wrong, we usually have soup after working all day 😀

Kidding, I’ve certainly come home to ice cream with chocolate sauce too. How cool your caterpillar turned into a moth!

I know people who DO eat ice cream with a fork, but not me!

30 May 2007 at 12:10 pm

10. Mmmmm, if I’d known that stuff was in your home, mmmmm, yummy Tom! Okay, so you won’t do a rootbeer float with maple walnut ice cream, but you will do chocolate on maple walnut? 😉
    Hope you’re not aching too bad from all of the abuse your body took from cleaning up your stations!
    Cool about your moth!!!

30 May 2007 at 7:07 pm

11. Before I head for the freezer to see if we’ve got any ice cream (you’ve inspired me) – I had to send along a smile about that great pix of your blogging habitat. Now that’s a hoot! And I’m glad someone else included themselves in their picture.

If I’d known we were permitted to use props I’d have come up with something more entertaining. Dang! I want a do-over:0)

The moth is so neat – it must be so satisfying to bring them into maturity and release them into the world.

30 May 2007 at 8:42 pm

12. You do more in one day outside than I do in a week. You deserve that rootbeer float! I have the same bowl – I use it for applesauce :o)

You photos are incredible, Mon@rch.

30 May 2007 at 8:45 pm

13. So you have me sold on the Root Beer with your fancy jingle and all…I am thinking your were singing when you wrote the words down…But I don’t even know if they sell it here in south central PA…at least I don’t remember seeing it.
    Vern

30 May 2007 at 9:05 pm

14. You are a party animal!

30 May 2007 at 10:08 pm

15. Nice moth! I think that caterpillar might be a bit more photogenic though. See you in two days!

30 May 2007 at 10:33 pm

16. @ Ruth sure was and how great to have seen the IO moth! I have only see two and both were those that I raised from Caterpillar!
    @ Marg – your kidding, well maybe I would use a fork if I am too lazy to wash the spoons in my sink!
    @ Pam, ugg those bug bites are still iching! But I did beat myself up this year opening those stations! My scratch on my eye is much better (now can close it without hurting!)
    @ Cathy, I wanted to do something else but it was the only thing I had at the last second! I thought yours was great (glad you can’t do a do over)
    @ Mary – I find it amazing how many have that bowl! I have two others that are even older and can eat everything with them! Thought your blog thing went great!
    @ Vern – stewarts is hard to find around here also! but I know right where to go and get some! I suggest going to their website and see if you can find any local stores that sell it!
    @ Barb – LOL You know it!
    @ Jeremy – thanks and was for sure! ANP starts tomorrow (thursday) for me! See you then!

30 May 2007 at 10:45 pm

17. Grace

Mmmm! I really need some energy 🙂

31 May 2007 at 7:47 pm

18. Well, I’ve always said that girls have an easier time getting a guy… we’re easy!

1 June 2007 at 9:24 am