Robin Chicks Hatched!!
The American Robin (Turdus migratorius) builds their nest in shrubs, trees forks or any sufficient ledge that they find. The nest is built with grasses, string and then stuck together by mud. They will line the nest with very fine grasses. Adults will not start incubating the nest until all the eggs have been laid (normally 3 or 4 eggs). They will sit on the eggs for about 12-14 days and nestlings will leave the nest in about 14-16 days. Weather pending the American Robin have anywhere from 2 to 3 broods throughout the year. This video clips below is very long (look out dial-up people) but shows the numerous efforts by both the male and females Robins while raising their young.
Look for the following events in this video:
• Female feeds the nestling that appears to be the hungriest.
• Female sits tight on the nest.
• Female looks down at nestlings to say “Quit Poking Me”!!
• Female sits tight for a long time and does very little movement.
• Male vocalizes and shows up with more food.
• Female flies away to get more food.
• Male does a call note getting the nestlings up and start begging for food.
• Male feeds the hungriest nestling.
• Male eats both of the nestlings fecal sacks (since they are so young, he eats these small sack of waist to get the nurturance that the nestlings didn’t digested. Once the nestlings are older the robin will carry the sacks away to be disposed somewhere else).
• Male flies away for more food.
This video was taken at my field assistants house and uploaded via their high speed internet (yes, I am still on dial-up). This wonderful series was taken with my point and shoot camera and I was amazed at quickly the birds adapted to the camera being right next to their nest. Once both birds left the nest, the camera was removed and the Robins continued feeding the young for the rest of the night. I just might have to try getting more video clips like this of other nesting birds (figure I would start with the common ones first).
The pictures of our trip to BBBO and BBRR should be in tomorrows post once I get some more time to edit and write!! I had this video uploaded already so it was easier to do this over the busy catch up day that I had today.