Orioles and Ice-cream in that order!

This weekend Young Naturalist J and myself had a spontaneous trip to Braddock Bay Bird Observatory to practice taking birds out of mist-nets. It is always great way to see how other bird-banders run their banding station and to make some new contacts. Sunday evening I headed over to their house to get ready for our adventure and within a very short period of time (in their bird feeders) we located three first for 2007’s for me. The first was a Ruby-throated Hummingbird (CHECK) at their hummingbird feeder, then the Orchard Oriole (CHECK) showed up at the grape jelly (I was very excited with this bird) and then just before dusk we had an Indigo Bunting (CHECK) show up at the platform feeder! It was so much fun watching these amazing little birds and all while eating ice-cream at their kitchen table. Monday, I tried getting a video of the Orchard Oriole but was only able capture this clip of the Baltimore Oriole feeding on some Grape Jelly.  Isn’t it nice to have these great birds around again??

Baltimore Oriole Gorging on Grape Jelly

I have many more wonderful stories, photos and videos to post regarding our Braddock Bay Bird Observatory and Braddock Bay Raptor Research field trip! I just need time to edit the pictures and write something up on our adventure.

1. Nice video! Wonderful to have two kinds of Orioles at once.

8 May 2007 at 11:49 am

2. Excellent video capture-Orioles in my yard ignore thejelly and oranges.-They go for the crabapple blossoms.-Always great to see the return of these birds-Look forward to you edited posts.

8 May 2007 at 6:33 pm

3. YUummmm- jelly!
    I haven’t seen or heard the orioles yet. Can’t wait!

8 May 2007 at 8:17 pm

4. Great video. I was just wondering how to package grape jelly for an Oriole, now I know.

8 May 2007 at 8:29 pm

5. Wonderful video clip. I had no idea that grape jelly was good for anything other than peanut butter sandwiches.

8 May 2007 at 8:41 pm

6. Sherry at Q’s Corner (Missouri) has been having Orioles visit for oranges and grape yelly for a few weeks and they aren’t leaving, either. I’m off to the store!

Your bird adventures amaze me.

8 May 2007 at 9:28 pm

7. You put jelly out for orioles? Really? Dumb ole me–thinking all you would ever put out for birds would be seeds or worms. Jelly? Huh!?!

8 May 2007 at 10:24 pm

8. OK, so I have Oriole envy!

9 May 2007 at 6:51 am

9. I need to get our oriole/hummingbird feeders out – the hummers seem to find them within hours, but the orioles are more sporadic. Still, they’re such beautiful birds, it would be worth it to get them back in the yard.

9 May 2007 at 7:42 am

10. @ Birdfreak – thanks but wish I could have photographed the Orchard! Next time!
    @ Larry – I have too many critters in my yard to put out jelly! So don’t even try!
    @ Lynne – It was soo nice to watch them! But, of course as soon as I took the camera away we had 3 Orioles at their feeder at once!
    @ Barb – this works great and I think they have been doing it this way for a few years!
    @ Ruth – I still like my butter and toast! Thanks
    @ Mary – They use the cheep stuff and they love it! They have been doing this for a long time but might take a little while to get them their! But once they find it, look out! House Finch also enjoy the jelly!
    @ KGMom – It is funny the things birds like! Some birds like cat food also!
    @ Jayne – this is my field assistants house, I have the envy also!
    @ Marty – do because they are back! They are so fun to watch! I woke up this morning to hearing the hummingbirds buzzing around my window (where I have one of my feeders).

9 May 2007 at 9:12 am

Can’t wait to hear (and see) more!

We caught a Baltimore yesterday I could see him from very far away, so bright and beautiful.

9 May 2007 at 1:32 pm