Allegany the Winter Wonderland

Administration Building
Allegany State Park’s Administration Building.

winter freeze
Red House Lake just as the lake was freezing over.

winter wonderland
Winter view today along ASP Route 2.

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2007

Yee Haw I’m first!

And tomorrow is Friday!

It is absolutely beautiful and the first one looks like a toy building in a Christmas display!

6 December 2007 at 7:48 pm

2. How beautiful. Snow is so pretty in someone else’s backyard! 🙂

6 December 2007 at 8:13 pm

3. PWRBRDR

Tom,
    I think you could use these as postcards for the park. They are very nice and I really like them. Did you get any with the snow and the building before the lake froze? I think it would be neat to see the shade comparison…

Very nice!

6 December 2007 at 8:17 pm

4. What a lovely place. You are so lucky to work there. Please keep the views coming.

6 December 2007 at 8:19 pm

5. I’ve always hated winter, but I’m hating it less and less. I’m even learning to enjoy it. It certainly has a beauty all its own, and you’ve captured it well.

6 December 2007 at 9:05 pm

6. Agreeing with Robin. Winter has a beauty of its own and you know how to find it.

Stunning photos. What a view.

6 December 2007 at 9:12 pm

7. Very lovely!
    Snowscapes seem so peaceful. Looks as if you have received many inches! Will you go hiking? I enjoy getting all bundled up and getting out into the woods when the snow is freshly fallen. I like how silent it is.
    Sherry

6 December 2007 at 9:16 pm

8. Never been there in winter. Looks lovely.

6 December 2007 at 9:29 pm

9. @ Marg – yeah and yeah! That’s the office I work out of! Thanks!
    @ Liz – thanks and sometimes I wish the same thing!
    @ John – I had hoped to get a good shot before it froze over but wouldn’t stop snowing! This is one from last year! http://flickr.com/photos/monarch/290096878/
    @ Trixie – thanks and will work on getting a few more for ya!
    @ Robin – It has its moments! Ski season is about to start so that makes it easier!
    @ Mary – When you are in beauty all the time, doesn’t matter where you point the camera! Thanks though!
    @ Sherry – Thanks and I think of it as being cold! Ugg! We probably have gotten over a foot of snow and hard to get out when it gets dark so quickly!
    @ Nick – not many herps out this time of the year! LOL Thanks though!

6 December 2007 at 9:42 pm

10. Lisa at Greenbow

Wow these pictures scream WINTER. What a lovely wonderland.

6 December 2007 at 9:42 pm

11. Beautiful pix of the snow. I especially like the Administration Bldg shot. It looks as if it belongs on a holiday card — and I mean that in the best possible way.

6 December 2007 at 10:01 pm

12. Nice scenery-I look forward to a White Christmas so I can walk around in the snow out in the woods.

6 December 2007 at 10:19 pm

13. Ooh, pretty!

6 December 2007 at 11:13 pm

14. @ Lisa – doesn’t get any more winter than this! Feels like it has been snowing for the past 3 days non stop! Did get a few blue skies today though!
    @ Marvin – Thanks and I like the snowflakes in the air with this! Didn’t notice them when taking the picture!
    @ Larry – LOL, after Christmas . . I think I am ready for spring!
    @ Adam – thanks!

6 December 2007 at 11:30 pm

15. Grace

I was hoping to get some photos of the hooded mergansers before the lake froze.

7 December 2007 at 12:14 am

16. This kinda reminds me of the movie the Shinning! It’s beautiful, but a little spooky to. I guess the whole snowed in thing. ~Nita~

7 December 2007 at 12:42 am

17. These are so pretty, Tom! The Admin Building and Red Lake are so “photogenic” year round!

7 December 2007 at 8:08 am

18. BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL winter pictures, Mon@rch!

7 December 2007 at 8:13 am

19. I can almost hear the peaceful quietness of it all.

7 December 2007 at 9:38 am

20. Nice pics – like postcards!

7 December 2007 at 9:48 am

21. Beautiful pics. You definitely capture the exquisite silence and chill.

7 December 2007 at 11:22 am

22. Gorgeous shot Tom! I agree, it should be used as a Christmas card or postcard!

7 December 2007 at 12:04 pm

23. OMG!!! That is beautiful! ! ! ! ! ! Words can’t explain how gorgeous that is!

7 December 2007 at 12:10 pm

24. @ Grace – I even went out with the camera to capture their picture but they ended up moving on me!
    @ Nita – doesn’t remind you of the north pole? LOL, I just want to see blue skies!
    @ Pam and it can be sometimes! Spring isn’t that photogenic though, it’s a little muddy!
    @ Ruthie – awww, thanks Ruthie!
    @ misti – you don’t hear the snowmobiles? Once they get started it sounds like a swarm of bees!
    @ Patrick – thanks
    @ Robin – thanks and it has been snowing non stop even still today it’s snowing! it’s what we call Lake Effect!
    @ sherri – thanks and will have to come up with something! Thanks
    @ YN – J – thanks and I have one word you can appreciate “Snowboarding”!

7 December 2007 at 12:22 pm

25. That’s just beautiful. They look like pretty picture postcards.

7 December 2007 at 12:57 pm

26. Oh Tom, this is so very beautiful. I love it!

7 December 2007 at 3:20 pm

27. Admin building? What a waste! It should be a home for retired nature lovers.

7 December 2007 at 6:46 pm

28. @ Erie – thanks and wasn’t the best lighting but thanks!
    @ Lisa – thanks
    @ Wren – LOL< have to have offices somewhere! But when my mother first graduated from highschool she lived in their! No one lives their now though! Well except the ghost!

7 December 2007 at 7:37 pm

29. What awesome pictures! Make Christmas cards from them 🙂 There is such peace that comes with a winter flurry!

7 December 2007 at 10:01 pm

30. I’m feeling (just a little) jealousy.
    Do you x-country?

8 December 2007 at 8:35 am

31. @ Chicago – thanks and one of these might become a header to the http://www.nysparks.com website! They asked my permission yesterday!
    @ Nina – I do but ski season doesn’t start until the 19th when hunting season is over! I snowboard also!

8 December 2007 at 9:33 am

That would make an awesome header for them Tom-congrats!

8 December 2007 at 3:34 pm

33. I echo the comments – these would make a wonderful card/postcard/header for your Park System.
    LOVELY shots!

9 December 2007 at 7:20 am

34. Ah Tom see I’m catching your posts. I’ll never forget the first time Don and I spent a weekend in a cabin at Red House. It was January and were really into x-country skiing. We had so much fun. these photos bring back memories. Thanks

BTW how do you like how blogger comments are now. Hope it was easy and I see it did link back to your wordpress blog. yea.

9 December 2007 at 10:35 pm

35. @ Marg – Hope so!
    @ Kerri – thanks and hope it happens!
    @ Toni – thanks and I just love skiing here! Glad to bring back those memories! Sent you an email on the comments!

9 December 2007 at 11:04 pm

36. Beautiful! And it reminds me I also need to get my Christmas village set up! What a winter wonderland.

10 December 2007 at 12:46 am

37. Beautiful – ready for the next (two) wave(s) coming in?

12 December 2007 at 5:43 pm