Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron
Great Blue Heron

It appeared that the Great Blue Heron were in abundance at the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge last weekend. They were not like my local heron that are very skittish when approaching with a vehicle . . . these guys were very cooperative.

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2009

1. They are quite weary of people. I am not sure if they are actually scared of people or just bothered by their presence. They are very attentive fishing birds and just don’t like to be watched.

I have gotten close several times, and it is always a pleasure. And, I am glad you were able to also and get these wonderful photos.

3 April 2009 at 12:05 am

2. Wow, I love those photos! Especially the one that makes it look like it is wearing a cloak.

3 April 2009 at 3:27 am

You got wonderful GBH shots! I found the Egrets more co-operative than ours too

3 April 2009 at 7:28 am

4. Fantastic pictures! Such character!

3 April 2009 at 8:32 pm

5. It’s always fun taking photos of herons and great egrets. I just love these large birds, espeically when they are so cooperative. Great job, Monarch!

4 April 2009 at 1:01 pm

6. @ Robert – Thanks and I don’t get many chances like this, enjoyed every second of it!
    @ Linda – Thanks and it does!
    @ Marg – Thanks and I have not posted my Egret photos yet!
    @ Rondi – Thanks
    @ Mary – Thanks and it sure is!

4 April 2009 at 4:06 pm

7. susy

Great pictures..actually have a few that come in my backyard for the pond (long island, ny) awfully scary in person as they are taller than me!

4 August 2009 at 11:42 pm