Nature Haikus – Summer

Great Spangled Fritillary
Great Spangled Fritillary

By Young Naturalist C

Summer
Butterflies dancing
In the air, sweet with flowers
With vivid colors

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2008

1. Oh my… Look at all those swallowtails! Great haiku!

20 June 2008 at 7:38 am

2. Lisa at Greenbow

I can just see those butterflies dancing from flower to flower and while puddling. What a large group you found.

20 June 2008 at 8:13 am

3. Lovely poetry and great pictures. I’ve never seen the butterflies puddle in real life. What a sight that must be.

20 June 2008 at 8:26 am

4. Happy Summer Solstice!
    Tigers puddling and the Great Spangled nectaring are wonderful ways to see Summer at her prettiest! Great shots.
    Sherry

20 June 2008 at 9:49 am

5. I love the shot with all the swallowtails.

20 June 2008 at 10:04 am

6. Lovely haiku! Those flutterbys are gorgeous!

20 June 2008 at 11:12 am

7. Wonderful group of swallowtails. I wonder why they would all stop and gather on the ground like that.

20 June 2008 at 11:46 am

8. @ Jayne – Thanks and C did a wonderful job with this haiku!
    @ Lisa – They were so numerous!
    @ ncmountainwoman – Thanks and the Swallowtails are commonly found puddling like this!
    @ Sherry – Thanks and I just love seeing the Fritillarys!
    @ Scienceguy- Thanks
    @ Liza – Didn’t she do good? Thanks
    @ Robin – They are sucking up the minerals, thanks!

20 June 2008 at 12:14 pm

9. Just found this blog via the killdeer pages on flickr. Great pics and stories.

Keep up the great work!

James

20 June 2008 at 1:58 pm

10. Bethany

Great poem! I was just outside and the frittilary landed right next to me…what a coincidence! 🙂

20 June 2008 at 2:04 pm

11. beautiful photo and haiku both.. cool to watch them puddling.. our swamp milkweed isnt up yet- soon I hope, frits are fun 🙂
    great blog btw!

20 June 2008 at 7:02 pm

12. I love that you encourage the young ones in their interest in nature and poetry. What a great combination! Good job on the haiku, Young Naturalist C! As an English teacher, I highly approve =)

Beautiful butterflies, too, of course =)

20 June 2008 at 7:42 pm

13. Very beautiful haiku Young Naturalist C and the photos of the butterflies are beautiful.

20 June 2008 at 10:48 pm

14. NatureShutterbug

Beautiful butterflies. Great haiku- it is very succinct.

21 June 2008 at 1:32 am

15. @ James – Thanks and glad you found the site!
    @ Bethany – thanks and which species of Fritillary? Probably GS!
    @ Cindy – thanks and didn’t she do great with this Haiku? Thanks for such kind words!
    @ Rondi – Kids can relate to nature easily and I think everyone should encourage them to spend more time outside! Thanks
    @ Linda – So glad you enjoyed this . . . I thought this was perfect for the time of the year!
    @Natureshutterbug- Thanks and she did great with this!

21 June 2008 at 6:41 am

16. Absolutely GORGEOUS shots, Tom! Such beautiful butterflies. 🙂

21 June 2008 at 11:09 am

17. Great haiku. Love the shot of the swallowtails. Today we stopped at a cemetery on Route 5 outside of Ripley. Saw several Killdeer and one kept displaying a “broken wing”. I didn’t get to see any “killfawns” lol but I imagine there were some nearby.

21 June 2008 at 10:15 pm

18. Bo

Such frillery on the fritillary. Nice haiku, too.

22 June 2008 at 10:11 pm

19. Bethany

Yup, it was the GS. I was pulling weeds out of my garden and it just followed around for a while. I’m glad I read the post bc I would not have know what it was lol!

23 June 2008 at 8:03 am

20. Great haiku & gosh that’s a lot of swallowtails!

23 June 2008 at 10:32 am

21. Grace

Tiger swallowtails seem more numerous this year. They are a fave of mine.

23 June 2008 at 1:44 pm