Flickr Guest at CLDC MAPS

sunrise over the banding station

Sunrise Shot Overlooking the Banding Station

Yesterday was a slower day with the birds but we had some great company. Marg, who is a regular blog commenter and a wonderful flickr photographer visited the CLDC MAPS (Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship) banding station. It was an awesome way to spend some time together to talk about banding, flickr, photography and life in general.

Great Visit makeupanid!!

Juvenal – Yellow Warbler

makeupanid removing a bird from the net.

Marg extracting a bird from the mist net! (Photo by Young Naturalist J)

We had a slower day with only 28 individuals captured (majority being hatch year birds). We captured only 9 different species and placed 20 new bands on their legs. Highlights had to be the Butterbutt (HY) and an Indigo Bunting (HY) that Marg wished up for us (thanks Marg)!! All other speices were what you would expect for us to find like the Song Sparrow, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Gray Catbird, Yellow Warbler, Field Sparrow, and House Wren.

Butterbutt

Juvenal – Yellow-rumped Warbler

Indigo bunting

Juvenal – Indigo Bunting

Chestnut-sided Warbler new feathers heavy molt

Chestnut-sided Warbler molting into new feathers!

After banding Marg and her friend Richard came back to my house to relax and chat about birds. I can’t wait for Marg’s return to band Northern Saw-whet Owls together!! Thanks for the great visit!!

blueberries

Wild Blueberries were our Breakfast and Lunch

1. Great shots Tom, all except the yellow warbler, and I am afraid to look at that picture too long because he intimidates me a little.

22 July 2007 at 4:14 pm

2. Nice Pics!-Wild blueberries seem to have a better flavor than the domesticated ones.

22 July 2007 at 6:59 pm

3. Great pix as usual! Your indigo bunting doesn’t look happy – it looks like he’s scolding you – and at such a young age. 😉

22 July 2007 at 8:41 pm

4. Wild blueberries! What a treat. I am trying to ID warbler pics I took last week. How confusing trying to determine juveniles, molting birds, etc. Nevertheless, they are tiny jewels.

22 July 2007 at 8:47 pm

5. Your juvenile photos are so nice. Marg was lucky to have you as company in such a beautiful place. I agree with Ruth, determining juveniles and molting birds are difficult. We need your expertise.

22 July 2007 at 9:32 pm

6. That sunrise shot should be a greeting card it’s so very beautiful. Love the yellow, yellow warbler too!

23 July 2007 at 6:45 am

I suddenly thought I better check out your blog in case I’m in there! LOL

It was fabulous!!! Tom is a wonderful host, BIC, and photographer…..looking at that extraction pic means I really gotta stop biting my nails!!

I can’t wait til fall either 😀

23 July 2007 at 8:20 am

8. To my untrained eye, all brownish juvenile birds looked the same but with your great close-up pictures you can really see the different shapes and feather patterns. I love that you share your pictures and experiences with us.

23 July 2007 at 10:31 am

9. Great photos, as usual. And nice variety banding, too. Waiting for fall with you….

23 July 2007 at 11:05 am

10. @ Bernie – thanks and isn’t that a great Yellow-warbler shot?
    @ Larry – They sure do, thanks!
    @ Mary C. – thanks and the Indigo wouldn’t stop moving! This was probably the only decent shot I had!
    @ Ruth – they can be hard for sure but helps when you can take measurements, look up close, etc.. they are tiny jewels for sure!
    @ Mary – and I was very lucky to have Marg come down to visit! Was a 3 1/2 hr drive to come down. Molting birds are fun for sure!
    @ Jayne – thanks but not sure if it is that good! I do love the yellow warbler shot!
    @ Marg – glad you did and thanks for coming down! I just loved seeing you and your help! I can’t wait to see the pictures you were able to take!
    @ Linda – they are LBJ (little brown jobs) to me also but it really does help with having them up close!
    @ Laura – thanks and was a slower day! Regarding the fall, she plans on trying to come down in the fall to band Northern Saw-whet Owls with me!! You probably were not a regular last fall when I was banding Saw-whet’s – you can check out the tags at: https://monarchbfly.com/tag/bird-banding/owls/

23 July 2007 at 12:37 pm

11. Glad to hear that you both had a great time – it might have been ‘slow’, but still looked interesting to me!

23 July 2007 at 3:08 pm