A “Veery” Busy Day

Veery

Veery taken by young Naturalist J

You know that you had a busy day banding when you find that you had many wonderful birds and very few pictures to show. Today at the CLDC MAPS banding site we captured 11 different species and 42 different individuals. We collected 23 Avian Bird Flu samples, placed 26 new bands on birds and recaptured 16 individuals. I really need to go back in my records to see how long ago we captured some of these individuals. Maybe this would be a great wrap-up post??

Chestnut-sided Warbler

(Juvenal) Chestnut-sided Warbler

My field assistants today were Young Naturalist J’s parents due to Mr. J spent half of the banding session sleeping in the truck. We have to give him some slack since he just returned from a canoeing trip with a youth group in Maine. He should be all rested up for the SWAT banding tomorrow morning.

Common Yellowthroat

(Juvenal) Common Yellowthroat

Since I have very few photos to show . . . . here is the list of birds we banded (* = Juvenal plumaged bird banded): *Common Yellowthroat, *Song Sparrow (big COYE and SOSP day for sure), Field Sparrow, *Dark-eyed Junco, Gray Catbird, Eastern Towhee, Black-capped Chickadee, *Chestnut-sided Warbler, *Brown Thrasher, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and a Veery.

1. The feathers in the Veery are awesome Tom, cool image.

7 July 2007 at 6:28 pm

2. Grace

Do you receive any reports on the bird flu samples you collect? Which species are most effected?

7 July 2007 at 6:29 pm

3. @ Bernie – thanks, he did a great job with it!
    @ Grace – They have not gotten to my samples from last year yet! Other stations have reported a few strains but none have had the real bad strain that everyone is worried about.

7 July 2007 at 6:48 pm

4. Please tell Young Naturalist J that all of us at the Birdfreak team think it is so great that he is into birds. The Veery is my all time favorite bird species and the picture turned out great!

7 July 2007 at 7:13 pm

5. Busy day! The photo of the Veery is Veery Good! Young Naturalist J did a great job.

I’d love to see all of this happen.

7 July 2007 at 10:45 pm

6. I guess some slack can be given to Mr. J….any young kid who is into nature is okay in my book. And he’s a growing boy who needs his sleep!
    I have been to two bandings, and I am amazed that ANYONE has the time to take pictures!

8 July 2007 at 12:30 am

7. Young naturalist J’s photo is awesome, as are yours! I love the feather details. Hopefully you’ll get more good birdies today, they’ve been very active outside my bedroom windows this morning (no more sleep for me at that point)!

8 July 2007 at 6:44 am

8. I love the pictures of your banding days — those close ups of their faces are so cool!

8 July 2007 at 11:01 am

9. rick

such amazing work you guys are doing with wonderful photos as always.

8 July 2007 at 5:28 pm

10. Great pic of the Veery – wow.

BTW – I just gave you a vote on the Blogger’s Choice Awards under the Best Animal blog category (http://www.bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/6523)

Thanks for the posts!
    aB.

8 July 2007 at 6:54 pm

11. That must help alot in your bird identification to see the variations in plumage.

Tom,
    if you get the chance, please go to my blog post of today to see if you can identify some feathers I found in the yard yesterday. Thanks!

8 July 2007 at 7:45 pm

12. Wonderful detail in these photos–feathers so lovely, eyes so bright.
    Good work, Tom.

8 July 2007 at 10:52 pm

Ha, ha, I never have photos when we are really busy either!

But the ones you got are great

9 July 2007 at 9:54 am

14. @ Veery – Thanks and he has wanted to catch that Veery all summer! He reads the blogs, so I know he will see your comment!
    @ Mary – thanks and he did!
    @ Susan – He is a very good kid and worked out alright! Although we do have times when I say, “hmm, I probably should have taken a photo of that”!
    @ Pam – Thanks and he did do a great job! We did have a great day as you can see in the post! Thanks
    @ Liz – thanks and that’s how I love to photograph them!
    @ Rick – thanks
    @ Ruthie, did get to see that feather you posted. Thanks for your kind words!
    @ KGMom – thanks and its always best to focus on their eyes!
    @ Marg – we have those days also!

9 July 2007 at 11:10 am

15. Great set of birds – sounds like a good day of birding AND banding. It would be interesting to see how often you are capturing certain birds. And I’d be interested to know if they seem to be less frightened after being caught and released one or more times.

10 July 2007 at 1:21 pm

16. Always cool stuff to see on your blog.-Why do you refer to each naturalist by a certain letter? Is that your ideaor is it the way it’s done?

10 July 2007 at 5:37 pm

17. @ Marty – I will try to pass along some info on some of my recaptured birds from this year! It is amazing sometimes how long ago we had first caught them!
    @ Larry – thanks and in this sick world we need to becareful when posting information about children. It is nice enough that their parents let me post info about their involvement with banding but I try to keep as much personal info about them out of the blog as possible! It would be a different story if they were my own kids!

11 July 2007 at 11:41 am

18. O.K.-I thought it might be some type of training code-I completely understand.

14 July 2007 at 10:45 pm