Rain, grrr

maggie

This morning our SWAT MAPS banding station was scheduled for banding. I woke up with light rain but the weather man said that it wouldn’t rain until 11am. So, onward to the banding station and luckily it did stopped. . . . I decided to open the nets and give some banding a try. An hour into the banding session it started to rain again (uggg). I had just started doing a net check, so I decided to just close all the nets up. Birds were singing up a storm, we had captured a family of Redstarts, a Yellow Warbler, two male Magnolia Warblers and a Gray Catbird. The rain continued for about 45 minutes while I processed the captured birds and I then finally decided to cancel the session (just before the rain stopped). Do I open the nets again or do I keep them closed till Sunday?? Decisions, decisions!!! I figured the nets were close already; I would just reschedule the banding until next Sunday. I then went home to crawled back into bed!!  I had woken up to the sun shining in my window and singing birds outside the window!! Ok, the sun was only out for a few seconds but I just knew at that point that I made the wrong decision in closing early! I hope that my make-up day is full of good birdies!  (BTW: The time of this post would be when I would be closing up my nets.)

So . . . . Happy 4th of July! Now off to a Chicken Barbeque!!

1. jimbeau34

Great story…..will check back late Sunday or Monday for the new venture !

Thanks for sharing

Jim

4 July 2007 at 11:47 am

It’s always so hard to decide, open? close? stay? leave? The weather seems so changeable too, I hope you got a good sleep at least!

4 July 2007 at 12:11 pm

3. Sounds like a perfectly lovely summer day….
    In England! Think liquid sunshine! Hope you have better luck on Sunday.
    Vern

4 July 2007 at 6:29 pm

4. You shouldn’t be working on the 4th of July, ha. It always rains in the east on the 4th. Always! Fireworks have to compete with thunder and lightning.

4 July 2007 at 7:12 pm

5. @ Jim – hope you do and I do have some great photos just waiting for me to upload here before then! I just need to get around to writing them!
    @ Marg – I have a schedule to stick with and it nice to be able to fit in into a day that I don’t have to take off! Guess that is why I am doing it on Sunday now! I probably should have stayed open! Weather will be better for the birds which is the most important thing!
    @ Vern – thanks and will do!
    @ Linda – my work is behind the computer all day so taking the day (or taking the day off) to band is heaven to me! Lucky we didn’t have any thunder today!

4 July 2007 at 7:29 pm

6. Will be looking forward to the Sunday follow-up.-Happy 4th of July!

4 July 2007 at 8:15 pm

7. Sorry the rain screwed you up Tom! But I’m not complaining about the rain here because we’re so far behind on it. The birds *were* singing a great deal this morning here, too! Your macro is beautiful!

4 July 2007 at 8:55 pm

8. We’ll see your follow-up. Enjoy the bbq and I hope your day was grand! I wouldn’t have minded some rain…

4 July 2007 at 9:10 pm

9. We got 5 mm of rain today, and are now just 80 mm less than normal for the past month! Sounds like the birds enjoyed the moisture.

4 July 2007 at 10:11 pm

10. Grace

How did I get so far behind on your blog? Those are some wonderful posts. Loved the baby birds.

5 July 2007 at 5:51 pm

11. @ Larry – thanks and do have banding schedule at the CLDC site on Saturday also!
    @ Pam – thanks the weather wasn’t a good thing! But it is good we were getting rain!
    @ Mary – I did very much and would be happy to send it down your way!
    @ Ruth – birds were enjoying the moisture, thanks!
    @ Grace – LOL, thanks and glad you are able to catch up!

5 July 2007 at 11:06 pm

12. Sorry that the rain was foiling you – isn’t that always the way? My wife and I have this routine almost down pat:

“What do you think? Should we go out?”
    “Nah, it’s bad light and it’s supposed to rain.”
    “Okay, if you think so.”

{ 2 hours later in bright sunshine }
    “Told you we should have gone”
    “Shut up.”