time for work or time for play?

american tree sparrow

This weekend I spent numerous hours working on my end-of-the-year reports and can you believe that I am still behind on my PowerPoint slide show? This tardiness is partially due to parking myself next to the window entering my endless data into the computer. Of course I was watching the bird activity at the feeder’s more than typing. I was amazed at the nonstop lake effect dumping on us and I have decided that it is officially the start of winter (which finally brought out the birds). Although winter arrived late this year; I am just starting to see true signs of spring with numerous species of birds beginning to behave differently.

cardinal

The entire day I watched two pairs of Northern Cardinals showing continuously agonistic behavior between each other. I still think that they only had a few opportunities to eat a few seeds before another cardinal would chase it away. It appears that the territories of the Cardinal have already been established and I think my feeder is the no fly zone between these two pairs.

Dark-eyed Junco with seed

I also noticed that the Dark-eyed Junco’s were more frequently singing and could this be the start of pair bonding? It is still quite a few months until they begin sitting on eggs but it is wonderful to hear those junco trills again after a long quiet fall/winter. I plan on continuing to watch all the birds at my feeders and smile every time those cute little chickadee’s tell the females “cheeeeese….burg..ger”

American Goldfinch

I will continue working on my PowerPoint slide show and then start working on more year end reports for 2006 (ugg). Just someday I can get back to schedule on updating my blog on a daily basis and spend more time taking pictures of our favorite fluff balls. Sunday you can expect me taking advantage of this fresh snow going snowboarding at one of the resorts for the first time this season. I hope to try to do some cross country skiing tomorrow evening after work.

Titmouse

1. Look at that cardinal’s face – what a great photo! As they all are! Glad to hear you’re going to get out and “play” tomorrow and Sunday! You know the saying, all work and no play could make Mon@rch, well, you know! I love reading what you write! Enjoy “playing!”

24 January 2007 at 8:52 pm

2. Thanks Nature Woman and I just hope that the weather isn’ t too could tomorrow to head out cross country skiing! All the birds were getting into those seeds! Only wish the weather was warmer so that I wasn’t taking pictures through the windows!

24 January 2007 at 9:16 pm

3. Mon@arch, your photos are breathtaking. Looking through the window a lot? It’s a habit of mine that puts me behind on my “schedule of required activities around the house”. Can’t help it. That titmouse is adorable. I love them. Thanks for the view from your place.

24 January 2007 at 10:23 pm

4. Didi

There is so much bird activity with bad weather..
    I wish they do that when is sunny 🙂

You got fantastic captures even through the window.

There is only one pair of Cardinals in the area at the moment. Last year there were three males at one moment but always chased away by one of the males. Is it ever posible to have more than one male ?

25 January 2007 at 12:34 am

5. Dan

Those are amazing pictures indeed! I’m jealous…

25 January 2007 at 10:53 am

6. Mary – thanks so very much and I think (would need to see the band number) but I think this Titmouse was one of the young birds that I banded a few summers ago! Did you see the band it on??
    Didi – I feel the same way, why can’t they be active in the good lighting! Thanks, which reminds me, I need to clean my window again! I have two males around (two that I know about) so yes you can. 🙂
    Dan – Thanks and so glad they let me take their pictures.

25 January 2007 at 4:34 pm

7. Others leaving notes took my words away–the photos are magnificent. I love the cardinal, almost as though he is sitting for a portrait.
    What a wonderful gift to take photos of such beauty.

25 January 2007 at 7:58 pm

8. Thanks for such kind words KGMOM! Thanks for visiting!

25 January 2007 at 10:08 pm