New Neo-tropical Migrants

Northern Parula
Northern Parula

Neo-tropical migrants were moving through the area last night in record numbers! This morning I saw on the list serv many more warbler “first of the year” sightings for April than I can ever remember reading! I figured this was an opportunity to report some of my recent first of the years to all my blogging friends!!

Brown Thrasher Barn Swallow
Brown Thrasher and Barn Swallow

Last Thursday while driving through Allegany State Park I found a Brown Thrasher sitting up in a tree! Was in a hurry and didn’t get a good look but on Friday found the bird sitting in the same spot! Sure enough (CHECK) . . . first for 2009 Thrasher! Later in the evening produced my first of the year Chimney Swift (CHECK) flying over head! It is sure starting to feel like summer!

Yellow Warbler
Yellow Warbler

We headed out to Ripley Hawk Watch yesterday and although I didn’t get any first of the year raptors . . . . I did find a Barn Swallow (CHECK) and then Tim pointed out a Purple Martin(CHECK) . . . . both of which were flying around the parking-lot!

Purple Martin White-crowned Sparrow
Purple Martin and White-crowned Sparrow

While rolling over in bed this morning,  I could hear the song of the White-crowned Sparrow (CHECK) doing its imitation “White-throated Sparrow song but too frustrated to finish the song” song!! I then took a 9am walk around Red House Lake to hear/find a few Northern Parula (CHECK) vocalizing and then a Yellow Warbler in one of the shrubs! I thought heard a Yellow Warbler yesterday morning but wasn’t 100% sure on its ID! The bird is confirmed now . . . . Yellow Warbler (CHECK)!

Black-throated Green Warbler Common Yellowthroat
Black-throated Green Warbler and Common Yellowthroat

Around noon today I was pointing a few bird calls to Patty and said “that is a Black-throated Green” . . . . (CHECK) another lifer! Other birds were the Eastern Bluebird, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and multiple Chipping Sparrows! O wait . . . what is that down there . . . . . with a little investiagation we produced a Common Yellowthroat (CHECK)!

Awesome “almost summer” weekend we are having here in Western New York!

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2009

1. Very cool! Right now the migration’s in full swing down here. All of our fancy & temporary visitors are making their way through our feeding area. I love April in Louisiana!

26 April 2009 at 8:08 pm

2. Wow! That’s a lot of beautiful birds!

26 April 2009 at 9:18 pm

3. We just returned from Point Pelee on Lake Erie and the warblers and other birds are pouring in. I have never seen so many different birds and went nearly crazy trying to identify the warblers, vireos and thrushes. I have learned so much from your blog.

26 April 2009 at 10:37 pm

4. Wonderful birds! We have yet to see or hear our first white crowned sparrow, but we are waiting.

27 April 2009 at 6:02 am

5. Holy cow! All that in one weekend! I love seeing your close ups again Tom. Just exquisite!

27 April 2009 at 6:36 am

6. Sherri

Wow – you hit the jackpot this weekend! I guess it’s almost time to plan a trip to Point Pelee.

27 April 2009 at 12:39 pm

7. Bo

It’s always a treat to see the variety of birds in your posts. These are just stunning!

27 April 2009 at 12:54 pm

8. What a great collection of birds! I’m checking mine off slowly but surely. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of seeing the birds for the first time each season.

27 April 2009 at 6:17 pm

9. Ack! I’m so jealous! When I had one kid in a backpack I was getting good at checking off warblers. Now I have three kids and a huge garden, and I keep telling myself to listen to Birding By Ear a few more times, b/c I just know I’m missing great audibles walking to and from the house.

This is also a good place to sniffle about having moved away from the Hocking Hills region of Ohio before I spotted a Cerulean Warbler.

27 April 2009 at 9:56 pm

10. Grace

You have sure seen a lot of birdies in a very short time.

27 April 2009 at 11:33 pm

11. Thanks for the wake-up call. I’ve been spending so much time chasing spring wildflowers. I’ve got to get out and do some more bird photography. Those are some excellent images there.

28 April 2009 at 6:41 am

12. Lisa at Greenbow

Great photos Mon@rch. I still haven’t got a chimney swift. Crazy.

28 April 2009 at 8:07 am

13. Beautiful birds! I am waiting my annual appearance of a spot breased oriole. He/she came early last year, about this time, instead of the July it did two years previously.

28 April 2009 at 12:30 pm

14. Great bird photos. I am hearing an ovenbird for the first time this morning–I love spring!

30 April 2009 at 10:14 am