Remembering Summer Bugs [Wordless Wednesday]

big hornet

Things we don’t normally think about during the winter months when you live in snow country!

White Faced Hornet Nest [maybe]

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2008

1. Tom

Tom,

What an interesting shot. I hope to get plenty of closeup insect photos with my new lens, but I don’t think I’ll be getting that close to a stinging insect!

Tom

30 January 2008 at 7:29 pm

2. the soft focus on that bee really makes him seem a lot less threatening!

30 January 2008 at 7:34 pm

3. You are so brave getting as close to the hornet like you did!! That is such a cool photo Tom! I love the nest, too.

30 January 2008 at 7:45 pm

4. Lisa at Greenbow

I believe I read some words here on wordless wednesday. That is ok as long as you post your handsome pictures. 🙂 bzzz zzz

30 January 2008 at 7:59 pm

5. I think you need to put a do not disturb sign next to this guy 🙂

Great shot Tom !!

30 January 2008 at 8:13 pm

6. We can dream of summer and the buzz of the bees that come with it. Each year I appreciate summer even more. The last two years, for some reason, I don’t mind the bees around. I’ve always been terrified of them but now I like seeing them on my sunflowers and Russian sage. These are great shots and I can’t wait for summer.

30 January 2008 at 8:34 pm

7. @ Tom – thanks and this was taken with my point and shoot along the road one day! This guy/gal didn’t show any reason for leaving!
    @ allisonpluda – it was very laid back and nothing to worry about!~ Thanks for visiting and hope to see you around more!
    @ Pam – as long as you are careful . . you are alright with these guys!
    @ Lisa – I can never do a wordless without saying something! I am just too full of it! Thanks!
    @ Bernie – no walking barefoot around this guy (who was in the road)!
    @ Erie – Sometimes forgetting about our blowing wind, snow, rain and seeing the bees is a great way to remember of summer! I also can’t wait, thanks!

30 January 2008 at 9:06 pm

8. Distant memories. Will return soon :o)

30 January 2008 at 10:05 pm

9. Wonderful pictures. I only think of the bees in winter in the mornings when I’m eating toast with butter and honey with a hot cup of coffee. I thank the bees.

30 January 2008 at 10:27 pm

10. calevphoto

Nice shots Tom! I don’t think I’ll be getting that close to a hornet, thank you. 🙂 I’ll stick with male bumblebees for now(just keep thinking… baby steps…)

31 January 2008 at 12:17 am

11. Shudder. Nice shots. But, shudder!

31 January 2008 at 1:00 am

12. Ack! Brings back bad memories of the hornets that took over my bluebird house last year…shiver.

31 January 2008 at 6:59 am

13. That looks like a fearsome hornet – but they are so cool to actually see (one or two at a time, that is).

31 January 2008 at 8:37 am

14. Hey, anything for a great photo. If I can do 5 inches from a scorpion, I guess I can do a hornet. I’ll give it a try if summer ever shows it’s face again.

The nest is great, too. I love all that stuff.

31 January 2008 at 8:47 am

15. Wow crazy close hornet photo! Very cool.

31 January 2008 at 11:30 am

16. Wow. Being deathly allergic to all bees, wasps, hornets, spiders, etc., I could never even hope to get these kinds of shots. Thanks for sharing yours. 🙂

31 January 2008 at 12:26 pm

17. @ Mary – Without a doubt those memories will return! LOL
    @ Chicago – thanks and that’s the best way to remember the bee’s!
    @ Joe – thanks and I did think of you when posting this! BTW: This was with my point-and-shoot!
    @ Liza – thanks and understand!
    @ Jayne – ooo I so hate when they get into my bluebird boxes also! But this guy was 2 maybe 2 ½ times the size of those hornets!
    @ Marty – Wasn’t that bad but I wouldn’t have wanted to make it mad!
    @ Barb – thanks and I am just not familiar enough with scorpions to get that close!
    @ Adam – thanks!
    @ Lana – My mom is allergic also but not deathly! I was stung a few times and didn’t have major problems except a little swelling!

31 January 2008 at 1:15 pm

18. naturespalette

eeew, I’m afraid of bees.

31 January 2008 at 3:38 pm

19. Nice detail and pose.-It almost looks like a bull that is getting ready to charge!

31 January 2008 at 5:27 pm

20. That’s a stunning close-up. There’s nothing like a hornet to make me stand up a little straighter and salute the power of Mother Nature.

31 January 2008 at 9:15 pm

21. Thanks for the terrific reminder shots, Tom Summer will return — sooner for me than for you. 🙂

31 January 2008 at 10:45 pm

22. Tom, are you NUTS? ! ?

31 January 2008 at 11:53 pm

23. TR

Shudder not! Stunning and resplendent work of nature – pure art! I am ready to buy a macro — what lens would you recommend for shots like that?

1 February 2008 at 8:22 am

24. This part of summer I don’t cherish. Just reminds me of the time I accidentally disturbed a hornet’s nest on my front porch! I was stung about 9 times. Luckily I am not allergic. I hope you used a long telephoto for that shot!

1 February 2008 at 10:33 am

25. @ Naturespalette – we all need to be careful around them!
    @ Larry – LOL, now that you mention it . . . it does!
    @ Caroline – thanks and you couldn’t believe the size of this one!
    @ Marvin – no worries! LOL
    @ Susan – Yep, your just figuring that out?
    @ TR – Believe it or not but this was taken with my point-and-shoot sony cybershot! Probably 75% of the photos I take on here are with my cybershot! Guess it depends on the type of macro you will be taking!
    @ Joan – They have there moments and I have had my own battles with hornets at the house! Nope, camera was inches from it!

1 February 2008 at 6:32 pm

I don’t particularly like hornets but that is a stunning shot of one!

1 February 2008 at 8:41 pm

27. gorgeous and mysterious….
    s