More Visitors

Group Photo

This evening some staff and volunteers from Jamestown Audubon joined me to band some Northern Saw-whet Owls. First few net checks we had come up empty and just before they were about to leave we heard what I believed to be a Saw-whets vocalizing around the net! Of course I kept them past their bed time and they waited to see if we would end up catching an owl with our next check.

Jen and Saw-whet
Jen releasing a Saw-whet Owl

I am soo glad that they decided to stay because “that” net-check we had two fluff balls in the mist net. Patrick got to release the first bird and Jen (from A passion for nature) released the second bird. Finally they were able to headed home happy with being able to see these cute little fluff balls.  You might also recognize Sara and Rex from flickr (not sure if everyone else had flickr accounts or not – Jen help??)!! I did capture a third bird after they left and very happy with the 3 birds considering the southern winds we had! Thanks again guys for such wonderful company this evening.

Patrick blinked with every photo!
Patrick had blinked with every photo I took of him!

1. WOW! That last picture shows how very small they are!

18 October 2007 at 12:54 am

2. Such teeny owls! Vivi is now in love with the teeny owls.

18 October 2007 at 1:45 am

Worth staying up for! Glad you caught fluffballs for them-and nice meeting Jamestown Audubon Staff!!

18 October 2007 at 5:55 am

4. Hey Tom, that’s so cool you had some friends visit for saw whet banding! I’ll echo Lynne in remarking on how very tiny those owls are.

18 October 2007 at 7:41 am

5. Tom,

Oooo, how I’d love to do that. They look to soft to hold.

Jealous Mary

18 October 2007 at 8:32 am

6. Patrick’s fluffball does not look pleased. I see a Rex – what’s he doing getting involved with feathered herps?

18 October 2007 at 8:32 am

7. Wow – they sure are small. Nice shots – glad that the owls showed up for everyone.

18 October 2007 at 9:03 am

8. I am so enjoying your posts and photos of saw whets. Thanks!

18 October 2007 at 9:22 am

9. Sarah

Rex likes birds too, they just fall by the wayside when it is herping season. Besides, it was so much fun that even a die-hard herp nerd had to smile at the itty bitty owls.

18 October 2007 at 11:46 am

10. Michael Head

Sounds like a fun night Tom! Those birds are much smaller than I thought they were. Cute! I find some people blink more with the P-ttl flash on my Pentax digital because it preflashes to determine exposure. I think the Nikon uses a similar system on its DSLRs. I have heard it called sleepy eye.

18 October 2007 at 2:01 pm

11. What cool little birds, the eyes are so amazing.

18 October 2007 at 2:23 pm

12. Wow, the photo of Patrick holding the owl shows just how small they are! Glad you had some great help!!

18 October 2007 at 5:57 pm

13. @ Lynne – Thanks they are the size of a pop can!
    @ Trixie – they are easy to fall in love with! I am hooked for sure!
    @ Marg – I was glad to catch something also!
    @ Ruthie – I was very glad they made it over! Thanks
    @ Mary – Anytime you can make it up here!
    @ Nick – A Naturalist studies all creatures but sometimes we seem to focus more on one critter more than the other!
    @ Marty – thanks and we had two for them!
    @ threecollie – thanks but you will get old of this after two months of post!
    @ Sarah – High five and I don’t think I have ever met someone who didn’t love these guys!
    @ Mike – sure was and they come in all sizes! I was using my point and shoot to take these shots!
    @ Bernie – thanks and I do love them!
    @ Pam – that one was tiny but the males get even smaller than that!

18 October 2007 at 7:20 pm