Feathery Friday – Eye to Eye

Chestnut-sided Warbler and Young Naturalist J

Since Young Naturalist J is getting in-trouble from his parents for visiting my blog during his studyhall hours . . . . I thought this would be a good time to post this picture Marg (aka makeupanid) took of him this summer while banding birds with us. She is such a great photographer and also a moderator to a group on flickr called Feathery Friday (which this picture was submitted to last week). If you are a flickr person . . . . I strongly recommend joining this fun group!

FYI: Marg (and crew) should be starting to band here soon and is the webmaster for the Toronto Bird Observatory blog!  Be sure to add that link to your RSS feeds!

1. Wow! That’s an awesome photo!! Got the link in my RSS feeds – thanks!

14 September 2007 at 4:42 pm

2. This is so cool. I would love to be able to do this. Great photo. ~nita~

14 September 2007 at 5:21 pm

Poor J getting into trouble-I used to log into Orca Live sometimes from work and see my daughter there and say “hey what’s going on aren’t you suppose to be at school?” LOL

Guess I should get some posts in that blog if people are going to be adding it ;D

Thanks for all the kind words Tom, I’m blushing (is there an emoticon for that?)

14 September 2007 at 6:09 pm

4. @ Pam – Thanks and can’t wait to see what birds they start catching!
    @ Nita – you should be able to find a bander somewhere near you! Most banders are good in letting guest join you!
    @ Marg – LOL – He sure did get busted! Very neat you could do that with your daughter!! Isn’t technology amazing? How about 🙂

14 September 2007 at 6:34 pm

5. What a great photo! They’re almost eyeball to eyeball.

14 September 2007 at 6:42 pm

6. I have never been so close to birds like this and thanks to your blog and others I get to see some great shots such as this one.
    I hope J didn’t get into to much trouble. There are worse things a boy can do.

14 September 2007 at 7:45 pm

7. What a great title for this post! Great photo too.

Our up and coming birder, Dakota (aka Little Kingfisher) saw a Chestnut-sided Warbler today, but we (Birdfreak and sis Veery) did not. That’s what happens when you take different field trips!

We probably mention this every time, but it is so cool that Young Naturalist J is learning so much about birds.

14 September 2007 at 7:58 pm

8. @ Wren – Marg sure did do a great job!
    @ Toni – You will have to come visit us one of these days when were are out banding! His parents will probably give him some heck but I doubt they will get too mad!
    @ Birdfreak – great you guys were able to get out and all our Chestnut-sided’s are gone already!! Enjoy them while you can!

14 September 2007 at 8:13 pm

9. Great photo!

14 September 2007 at 8:22 pm

10. Great picture! I’ll check out that Flickr group.

Young Naturalist J – If you are at study hall now, please close the browser. This will still be here after school.

14 September 2007 at 8:27 pm

11. @ Nick – thanks she did great with it! Just knew I had to blog it once I saw it!
    @ Barb – spoken by mother with a kid probably around the same age as J! Love it!

14 September 2007 at 8:30 pm

12. Moe

I really need to get in to banding… Looks so great. Great pic!

14 September 2007 at 11:24 pm

13. Cyber bird watching in studyhall? Quel horreur!

15 September 2007 at 12:47 am

14. Oh my! That is an amazing shot! no only have I never seen a chestnut warbler but I’ve also never seen this kind of pose. Beautiful. Makes you wonder what both are thinking. 🙂

15 September 2007 at 11:03 am

15. That is definitely eye to eye. What a great shot, and a wonderful moment.

I don’t know how I missed the osprey post below, but wanted to say what an awesome photo that is as well. I haven’t seen an osprey for about three weeks now. We seem to be on one of their flight paths from one place to another over most of the summer. But now they are gone.

15 September 2007 at 11:37 am

16. I especially love all your bird photos, but this just grabbed me and had to comment…love it! 🙂

Dove

15 September 2007 at 4:18 pm

17. @ Moe – I suggest trying to find some bird banders in your area! Thanks
    @ Trixie – LOL – It’s not like when I was in school!
    @ aullori – Marg did a great job and I do wonder what they are thinking!
    @ Robin – Ours is gone also and he did a great job with the osprey! Thanks
    @ Dovelove – Marg did awesome taking this photo and glad she let me share it with everyone! Thanks for your kind words!

15 September 2007 at 10:00 pm

18. Very cool image Tom, looks like a stare down contest to me.

16 September 2007 at 12:30 am

19. I love this photo!
    How wonderful to be “eye to eye”.
    Sherry

16 September 2007 at 8:04 pm

20. Wait, but if it’s study hall, what’s the problem? Oh well, rules is rules, I guess!

17 September 2007 at 4:02 pm

21. That’s an amazing photo. How cool for Young Naturalist J to be “up close & personal” with such a cute little warbler.

I’m with Toni–there are worse things a guy could be doing at school during study hall (at least there were way back when I was in school!)

17 September 2007 at 5:26 pm