Just another Saturday

Spring Beauty

Today I cleaned out all of my Northern Saw-whet Owl boxes that I have here in the park. Hint to everyone, don’t accidentally delete your GPS coordinates or make sure you write them down somewhere before clicking “delete”. I have three boxes that I couldn’t seem to relocate and my luck is that they probably have a bird nesting in them.

saw-whet box

I finally came across my first two species of butterflies for 2007 (CHECK, CHECK)!! Eastern Comma and Mourning Cloak were both observed flying along the roadside but neither would let me get close enough for a good photo of them. I decided to include these two photos that I took many years ago.

Eastern Comma on Scat Mourning Cloak

After checking the owl boxes, I went to the Allegany State Park Historical Society Meeting which I have not attended in a long time. Then hung out with some fellow naturalists who I helped out with wrapping up their Earth Day Activities (and eat their cookies). I was able to convince Grace to join me over to France Brook to go search for Waterthrush and the Vireo. Obviously I didn’t find any but we did locate a pair of Eastern Phoebes with the male chasing the female around. This was the first time that I have seen an Eastern Phoebe in about two weeks (you might remember the bird; it was when I photographed it eating a worm on the road??).

Eastern Phoebe

I then joined Grace for her Frog walk that she was doing! Had all kinds of fun looking for Spring Peepers and any other creepy crawly things.

Spring Peeper

1. Love seeing the Peeper – any hints on how to find them? They always go silent whenever I come near.

21 April 2007 at 11:36 pm

2. At my parent’s place, I could walk down to the pond and scoop up about ten peepers each time I tried. I had to be careful where I walked.
    I’d love to go on a frog walk. I bet it’s harder to spot a frog versus bird watching.
    There was a moth thingy on my car this morning…off to try and ID it…

22 April 2007 at 12:28 am

3. We’ve had the same phenomenon with the Phoebe’s over here too – they were here and obvious for a few days then nothing for a couple of weeks. Didn’t even see one yesterday in the beautiful weather.

BUT the warm southerly winds are bound to bring in a host of new migrants. I had Pelicans flying over yesterday – there’s hope yet!

If the radar’s anything to go by this morning, there’s a huge movement of birds – yeah!! Love the butterfly shots – hope you can help me out with some ID’s later in the season.

22 April 2007 at 6:26 am

4. A nice blend of spring images. I would like to get a gps myself to use in the woods. I’m famous for wandering off a trail and getting temporarily lost.

22 April 2007 at 6:52 am

5. Beautiful wildflower. I’ve only seen one Phoebe around here. Did see that I have a pesky House Sparrow in my other bluebird house yesterday… boo hisss. Off to mess with his mind and keep it empty.

22 April 2007 at 8:19 am

6. I love the wildflower you captured!
    How do you check the owl boxes – they look like they’re up pretty high?
    Congrats on the butterflies! Yay, spring is here!!
    And I love the eastern phoebe and peeper photos!

22 April 2007 at 8:51 am

7. Are we in heaven or what?! After that long winter a glimpse of mourning cloak, a Phoebe’s tail bob , the bleat of a peeper – ahhhhhhh . . . . . . heaven. (Throw in cookies and well . . . it just doesn’t get any better)

22 April 2007 at 11:35 am

8. It is always so much fun for me to read your blog. I get to go along (vicariously) on these outdoor jaunts, learning all along.
    And you keep teaching and IDing and helping me grow in appreciation of the wonderful earth we call home.
    Happy Earth Day!

22 April 2007 at 2:24 pm

9. @ Laura – be sure to check under the grass!
    @ Susan – moths are hard! Great about the peepers and you do need to be careful where you step!
    @ Matt – would love to help with the butterflies! This southern winds and nice weather should be pusing birds north!
    @ Larry – should get lost with your gps but don’t forget to always mark where you car is first thing you head out in the woods!
    @ Jayne – Ugg, those house sparrows can do numbers! Great about the phoebe!
    @ Pam – thanks and love them flowers also! I do think spring is here for sure finally!
    @ Cathy – Cookies can sure make me happy! Do love the spring months!
    @ KGMom – thanks and Happy Earth Day to you also!

22 April 2007 at 11:25 pm

10. debrazgalaxy

Hey , is THAT why there was only one cookie left when I took my break? What an awesome day at the park! My 11 year old and I spent the day doing clean up~
    The only bad part for me was that I THINK people assumed I was a prisoner or “doing community service”! Park guests did NOT seem friendly at all (c; WHich is ODD for the park….
    Next year I will make a T~shirt that says “haven’t you ever picked up trash before?” and “Happy Earth Day”
    I love your site, next time I am at the park I will take that walk with Grace~ I helped a bit during set up for her evening talk before we left ASP. What a wonderful woman Grace is.
    Deb~

24 April 2007 at 12:00 am

11. Deb – LOL, I only had two cookies! That McDonalds drink made my stomach upset! I know the park would be very thankful for the volunteer work you did helping with the earthday cleaning up! Somepeople just don’t understand that it is alright to help clean up our enviroment! I also think it was wonderful that you had you kid with you. Happy EarthDay!

24 April 2007 at 8:41 am

12. debrazgalaxy

OMGosh that drink was horrid! I think it was PURE concentrate … NO water aaaaat aaaalllll.
    Uhm, I did drink a whole cup tho’

Allagany is our favorite place on the planet~ My son was so happy to have another day there and to be labled a VOLUNTEER! Funny thing is , we pick up trash whenever we see it ANYWHERE… but HE loved having a title. (c: I am a blessed woman I’ll tell you.

Now a question for you,
    What can I put on my two dwarf apple trees to keep the bugs off my blossoms/leaves and outta’ my apples!? (c: I wont use pesticides… but I guess I don’t have to explain that

24 April 2007 at 10:42 am

13. Deb, their are many natural ways of taking care of your bugs and one of the main ways is watering them off or picking them off by hand. My suggestion is to contact Cornell Cooperative Extesion at http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/allegany_cattaraugus/ and they could send all kinds of info on that!

24 April 2007 at 11:04 am