Happy Dyngus Day!

Happy Dyngus Day

I am not polish but this is another one of my favorite holidays that falls on the Monday after Easter Sunday! This is a day where the lady hits the guy with Pussy Willows and the guy then squirts the lady with a water squirt gun (many different versions of the holiday and this is the version I know). This is also the time that if the man is too stubborn for asking the big questions that this is the day where the lady can ask (for example marriage, relationship, etc….). For more info on the tradition of Dyngus Day go to Dyngus Buffalo and a story by NPR.

1. Hey mon@rch!!!! I am Polish – half – so Halfy Dingus Day to you, too! 🙂

Drove up to Massachusetts yesterday and saw tons of hawks, geese, heron, and a few eagles!!!

9 April 2007 at 8:24 am

2. That’s a new one! Never heard of Dyngus Day and it’s making me laugh. I have a good friend who is Polish Catholic and I’ll ask her if she was ever squirted or used pussy willows to switch someone!

9 April 2007 at 8:41 am

3. Happy Dyngus Day, Everyone!

9 April 2007 at 1:33 pm

4. -Sounds like a fun holiday.-I never heard of it but I can’t wait to say Happy Dyngus Day to my Polish Co-worker.

9 April 2007 at 6:32 pm

5. @ Jen – HAPPY DYNGUS day to you also! Did you do the parade at all?
    @ Mary – For some reason this is mostly a Western New York holiday (here in the states)! I know many areas like in Europe, ect.. have the day off after Easter Sunday.
    @ Trixie – Happy Dyngus Day to you!
    @ Larry – very fun and Happy Dyngus Day to you! You don’t have to be polish (I am not) to enjoy it!

10 April 2007 at 8:43 am

6. I have never heard of Dyngus Day…I’m German.
    But it sounds like fun. I would love to beat someone with a pussy willow switch.
    And do the Poles now how to dress girls or what?
    I love the flower garlands!

10 April 2007 at 11:49 pm