Getting over the winter blues!

Seems like there has been all kinds of talk about the fidget temperatures over the past few days and the weather service isn’t expecting any changes till next week sometime. After helping my blogging buddy “Nature Woman” with her video clip; I just knew this 5 second clip would be a perfect reminder that our snow white castle will soon become green again with some sights and sounds of spring.

Here is a video clip of an American Beaver feeding on some Raspberry species and what sounds like a Yellow Warbler singing (and Red-eyed Vireo) in the background. If you listen closely you can even hear this beaver chewing (I am a nature nerd and find that cool). The ear tag was placed on this Beaver as part of a many long term studies by SUNY ESF Forestry students (wish I knew more about the study).

Ok, now back to the real world of -0 F air temperatures and -20 F windchill temperatures! Tomorrow heading out with another Naturalist from Jamestown Audubon to do some Cross-country Skiing on the Art Roscoe Cross-country Skiing trail system here in Allegany State Park!! You can be sure this video will be in the back of my mind once I can’t feel my toes anymore! Please be sure to dress warm everyone!!

1. What an awesome video Mon@rch! Thank you for this wonderful reminder of warm days to come!
    Have fun tomorrow! Please don’t freeze your tootsies off!

5 February 2007 at 8:15 pm

2. And I love the way this guy is making the water move around him. Ah, sweet spring can’t come soon enough now!

5 February 2007 at 8:31 pm

3. Randy

Yeah, that’s a very cool video!

Enjoy your time skiing. It certainly is the heart of winter, but spring’s just around the corner. 🙂

5 February 2007 at 9:26 pm

4. I must be a nature nerd too, because I enjoyed that video.
    Beavers have always held a special place in my heart: On my first date with Geoff, we were sitting down by the river after dinner (very romantic) and I saw a beaver swimming along the shore getting ready to go up a tributary. It was so cool and unexpected. Of course, all of my friends thought it was hysterical that I saw “wet beaver” on our first date. (sorry, that was crass…but I am leaving it in.)
    🙂

5 February 2007 at 10:02 pm

5. So nice to hear the birds singing.

5 February 2007 at 10:27 pm

6. Pam, will try to have fun without freezing anything!
    Thanks Randy – will try to have a good time!
    Susan, how romantic having the wet beaver visit you like that! I think everyone needs a great memory like that!
    Laura – isn’t it though!

5 February 2007 at 10:56 pm

7. Very cool video – it does evoke a spring-like feeling.

6 February 2007 at 8:42 am

8. And in only 5 seconds it is able to do so! Thanks!

6 February 2007 at 8:57 am

9. I could hear him gnawing away…great video! It was 15 here this morning – very cold for this area. You won’t see me skiing. I shiver inside a warm house! Have a great time!

6 February 2007 at 9:13 am

10. brenda

Hi Tom,
    Thought you’d be interested in this site I just came across:

6 February 2007 at 9:43 am

11. Thanks, brr very cold Mary! The sun is out, lets see if it warms up warmer than 1.2F right now!!!
    Brenda, very familiar with Journy North! Thanks for the reminder of their great site! Not only do they do monarch’s but they also have eagles, ect..

6 February 2007 at 9:51 am

12. Hi Tom-
    I’m a nature nerd too! Your video made me smile ear to ear- can’t stop playing it!

6 February 2007 at 10:53 am

13. that’s a great video, thanks!! warms the soul.

6 February 2007 at 3:26 pm

14. Excellent! The winter blues are here as well, although I probably shouldn’t complain about the weather given the comments above – brrr! Our lows of 40F probably won’t elicit much sympathy 😉

7 February 2007 at 1:36 am