I am back on the internet again

After 15 hours without power and 24 hours without phone service; I am back on the internet blogging and flickering. Power was lost to numerous individuals in New York State due to strong winds and heavy rain taking down many high voltage power lines. The phone service was lost from a very large Beech Tree that fell on the lines not far from where my owl mist nets were set up. This photo below was taken of the windstream crew working on restoring my phone service. I don’t think they were having an easy time repairing it but its working perfectly now.

fixing my phone lines

After reflecting the evening, I continued to think about the 200,000 people that lost their power in Buffalo almost two months ago. It was only 15 hours but those from Buffalo had to survive over a week without electricity or phones. I knew that it wouldn’t be long before the power was restored but how could I not be concerned about my food in the refrigerator. A few things ended up in the back of my pickup (in the snow) and I just gorged myself with soft ice cream. (Now I need to pull out the treadmill since the power has been restored.)

Backpacking and or going camping, you find yourself prepared for all essentials to be gone. You actually leave to get away from those important daily gadgets that take over your life. I found this to be such bad timing for the numerous wonderful things about to happen. The bird club canceled our field trip to Niagara Falls looking for Gulls (will reschedule this here soon), had to cancel my haircut (starting to look like a shaggy dog) and I almost missed jennimi blogging this site!!  Jennimi  is a librarian at the University at Buffalo and she also loves her music, teaching, family, nature, and blogging! Please take the time to visit her blog at http://jennimi.wordpress.com.

What I learned is to always be prepared for the worse and I am glad that things are starting to get back to normal. I plan on doing some birding tomorrow and then wait out the next wave of weather that should be hitting us in the evening. – uggg

1. Linda

Glad to hear that you are OK. Our lights flickered but did not go out. Lucky this time. Always enjoy your blog. LOB

2 December 2006 at 8:48 pm

2. Linda, I am soo glad you commented on my blog here! Did you see I mentioned you with the peepers during Greg’s talk? Can’t wait to see you on Wednesday with B3’s talk at RTPI!

2 December 2006 at 8:52 pm

3. Randy

mon@rch,
    Like your others, that is a great picture of the crew. It’s weird, but it’s always a bit exciting to me when the power is cut from snow or thunderstorms…maybe it’s knowing that nature’s power tends to show us the ropes from time to time.

Great blog you’ve got here! I’ve added you to the google reader line-up. 🙂

2 December 2006 at 10:04 pm

4. @mon@rch: Oh man, power outages. Tough on us digifolk, no matter how much we love the outdoors. During the October Storm I found out what I was made of… but the first thing I did when we came back online (after making sure the iguana was all set) was get on the laptizzle and upload my storm photos. Hee. As for the linky, National Geo baby. All I can say. WNY rawks with its talent. mon@rch being no exception.

@Randy, been experimenting with moving from Bloglines to Google Reader. Liking the two point oh-ish interface.

3 December 2006 at 12:42 am

5. Randy – Thanks and glad you added me to your line-up! I agree that things got a bit hectic.
    Jennimi – I still would take the digital world than without it!! I still can’t believe how you all survived that long. I bet your iguana was a little cold! Your such a wonderful kind person!! Thanks again!

3 December 2006 at 9:55 am

6. AmatureNaturalist

Usually when the lights go out here, we light some candles and do some readin’ Abraham Lincoln Style. Great time to catch up on some magazine and book reading. Nice photo of the working crew as well, alot of people wouldn’t think about that as the object of a photo. Great eye!

3 December 2006 at 8:15 pm

I love that shot of the workers

oh I read a report of a Gull trip from OntBirds-if you go again I know my bander would love a Little Gull shot (pretty please) , apparently there is one there-and he’s researching them

5 December 2006 at 11:11 am

8. Will probably talk about our trip to the falls tomorrow. I will do my best to get a Little Gull picture for you!

5 December 2006 at 9:13 pm