Neighbors Problem Dogs

I have been having a hard time at the new house with the neighbors hound dogs hunting rabbits behind the house. Almost two weeks ago they were yelping and howling for almost 8 hours before I captured them and called the neighbor. Sunday night they returned howling and barking around 3:30am getting my dog all worked up where we couldn’t even sleep because of all the activity. Yesterday I observed a few Red-tailed Hawks hovering above the scrub shrub area probably searching for the same Eastern Cotton Tails that those dumb ass hound dogs have been chasing. I do know bunnies are back there because yesterday Patty and I watched two Eastern Cotton Tails hopping around the barn/shrubs for a short bit!! I even captured on the trail-cam Sunday morning those dogs running around on my property! Would love to hear suggestions on what you would do to stop the neighbor’s dogs!!!

Uploaded Via my iPhone!

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2010

1. Frank

Skunks are a negative reinforcement 🙂

23 November 2010 at 1:40 pm

2. I, unfortunately, do not have a solution. I do not like barking dogs myself and we’ve decided not to have a cat for fear of upsetting the wildlife. Is there no leash law in your area? It is a delicate balance between establishing rules and consequences with your neighbor and starting a skirmish. In the meantime, you might like this poem by Billy Collins called “Another Reason Why I don’t Keep a Gun in the House.” http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/another-reason-why-i-don-t-keep-a-gun-in-the-hou/ It is about barking dogs and Beethoven 🙂 Good luck!

23 November 2010 at 1:50 pm

3. Michael Head

Hi Tom,

I think this is the toughest of the neighbor problems. I can only suggest a very calm talk with the neighbor. However, before doing so you should know what the leash laws are in your area just in case.

Mike

23 November 2010 at 2:43 pm

• Michael gives very sage advice. If you don’t get anywhere with his suggestion, perhaps you could catch the dogs again and take them in to the local animal shelter with a good and innocent explanation of how they have been running wild on your property night and day, keeping you awake and upsetting your own pets. Good luck! Barking dogs are the bain of my existence. Where I am staying right now, it’s the little yappers. They are everywhere!

23 November 2010 at 3:06 pm

4. I do want to keep peace with neighbors but I don’t think they get my dislike of the dogs running through my yard chasing everything that made me want to purchase this property. All other neighbors keep their dogs chained up including myself keeping my very own dog chained up. I personally didn’t have the conversation but one of them told Patty “we just need to work out a schedule when I let my dogs run free and when you have your nets up banding birds”!! Umm . . . I don’t think she got the point . . . . I don’t ever want those dogs in the yard chasing the wildlife!! Sorry for my frustration . . . . rarely do I vent my frustration through this website (kind of against my mission of the site)!! I am sure though many of you guys have the same problem with dogs thinking they own the place!

23 November 2010 at 3:44 pm

5. It’s sad that you are having to deal with this problem but it seems like it’s out of control. I agree with kaholly but I’d either call, or take them to, your local animal control (if you have one). If there are leash laws etc., they can enforce them in a way that an animal shelter can’t. The owners will probably have to pay to retrieve the animals and that might get their attention.

24 November 2010 at 2:48 pm

6. julie

We have a problem with barking dogs and we looked into a silent alarm that is set off when dogs bark. Maybe it would be enough to chase them away as well as stop barking. They have to be within close proximity of it however. Maybe you could place it near the rabbit den. We never did end up getting or using one ourselves as we just filed complaints with the hoa and they seem better…most of the time. Gosh, I hope the little bun buns are okay!
    good luck and keep us posted on how it all works out.

27 November 2010 at 12:19 pm

7. Hmmm… Tough problem. I agree that talking to your neighbor in a friendly way is the best way to start.
    If nothing comes from that here are a few ideas.
    – Put up a wire fence – like those used for vegetable gardens. A high enough one will be tough for the dogs to jump over, but rabbits will have no problem going underneath it. 🙂

– Plant something on your side of the property that has thorns.

– Create a “trap” that sprays the dogs with something that smells awful. Eventually after continuously receiving smelly dogs, the owner will do something to keep them from your yard.

29 November 2010 at 2:17 pm