Friday the 13th

snowy woods
Snow covered woods!

Yesterday we had some mixed rain/ice/snow that blanked the area which might have resulted in the crash of Flight 3407! What a tragic event and my heart go out to the families of the victims.

American Robin
American Robin

Today I saw my first for 2009 American Robin (CHECK) in a wet grassy area near Red House Lake! Not long after that I saw my first 2009 Eastern Bluebird (CHECK) fly up into the tree.  Sweet . . . . 2 year birds in one day!  I am not sure if this is a true signs of spring but it is leading us in the right direction! Shouldn’t be too long before new birdies are seen most every day!

Eastern Bluebird
Eastern Bluebird

Friday the 13ths can be such a mysterious day with good and bad things happening around us! Do you believe in the superstition that the 13th brings us bad things??

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2009

1. Lisa at Greenbow

What a wonderful day of thrushes. That snow photo is pretty even though I imagine you are getting tired of snow. Happy Valentines Day.

13 February 2009 at 8:18 pm

2. I love it when snow covers trees like that. Makes for a real winter wonderland. We’ve been seeing Robins and Bluebirds all winter here in Pennsylvania.

13 February 2009 at 8:19 pm

3. Nope – I don’t believe in superstition – good and bad things happen daily. My heart does go out also to those families involved in the crash…so sad.
    Your winter white picture is drop dead gorgeous! And your robin and bluebird perfect!

13 February 2009 at 9:18 pm

4. No, I’m not superstitious, but sometimes I am suspicious =) Ironic how beauty one place is the cause of tragedy in another. Almost all our snow is gone as it was nearly 70 on Wednesday! But it’s back to cold tomorrow…

13 February 2009 at 9:55 pm

5. Quote: Shouldn’t be too long before new birdies are seen most every day!

Yes!!! That can’t come soon enough for me. I love my winter and year long birds, but need new material to photograph. ;o)

Love the robin and blue bird picture. The ice glazed trees are lovely too.

13 February 2009 at 10:24 pm

6. My heart stopped this morning hearing the news.

On a lighter note. I swear we are in sync sometimes. I just painted a Robin. I have to post it yet. I’ve been seeing Robin’s at Presque Isle most of the winter.

13 February 2009 at 10:25 pm

7. Red

Nope, if I did believe in superstitions, I wouldn’t have 4 black cats or a broken mirror 🙂

Congrats on the new springy birds for 2009… perhaps all that snow will be going fast.

What a tragedy of that crash. I wonder if multiple factors were the cause… ie wind shear + ice 😦

13 February 2009 at 10:40 pm

8. Tom, since today Feb 13 is my birthday–I say an EMPHATIC no–no superstition here. That would be wasted energy on my part.

13 February 2009 at 10:56 pm

9. Terrible tragedy. I’m always scared flying in the winter because of the ice and snow and we only have little planes like that coming in and out of the Erie airport.

You are so lucky to see bluebirds already! Today I counted my backyard birds for the Great Backyard Bird Count and it was pitiful. All I saw was 4 pigeons, 4 crows, 7 house sparrows and 1 measly bluejay. Boring! We are heading for the state parks the rest of the weekend to count.

I didn’t even know it was Friday the 13th until I saw your title. No wonder they had all that Friday the 13th stuff in the paper. I thought it was about another movie with that title and skipped it.

13 February 2009 at 11:50 pm

10. @ Lisa – I know right right . . . yes it wasn’t fun working with snow above your knees . . that was after our big melt that we had!
    @ edvatza – thanks and welcome to the site! Glad you commented!
    @ Bird Girl – I so agree with you but sometimes it is very ironic! Thanks and the bird shots are some older photos that I captured!
    @ Rondi – Very much so . . he he Lower elevation the snow is a great deal less! I don’t think winter is over yet!
    @ Kallen – I can’t wait for the birdies to return!
    @ Toni – great minds think alike . . can’t wait to see your robin post!
    @ Red – good for you! Thanks and does sound like ice was involved in the crash! But guess it wasn’t 100% official yet!
    @ KGMom – WOW happy Birthday! Almost a Valentines Girl!
    @ Linda – Can’t wait to read about all your finds with the GBBC!

14 February 2009 at 12:34 am

11. Grace

Eastern Bluebirds are the best 🙂

14 February 2009 at 1:50 am

12. I got a little confused.. I have a shot of about a dozen robin’s in a bush in the middle of January… I’m sorry about the crash it saddened me. I hope you and your statesmen know the rest of the country is praying for you. p.s. beautiful shot of the bluebird. I caught sight of a hawk… I wonder if that means anything?This high north I think it might.

14 February 2009 at 1:52 am

13. Lovely photos, of course. Yes, even the sn*w picture.
    I was terribly sad to hear of the plane crash, of course. So unfortunate…

14 February 2009 at 6:20 pm

14. No I don’t believe the 13th is an unlucky day, heck I have bad luck everyday !!

Just kidding I love the snow shot, great work !!

15 February 2009 at 9:32 pm

It certainly was a tragedy-the poor families

Sweet Springy bird shots

17 February 2009 at 11:40 am

16. jaina

no i don’t believe in that friday the 13th kinda crap but the birds are so beautiful!

17 February 2009 at 12:11 pm

17. I don’t really believe in superstition but do play along with some superstitions out of habit.Too bad someone didn’t actually send you a check after each first bird of the year you saw.

17 February 2009 at 7:32 pm