Some Birdies

Sharp-shinned Hawk
Sharp-shinned Hawk

Here are some cool birdies that I photographed and should have posted while bird banding the past month! Thanks for all your kind comments . . . . you guys are all wonderful!

woodcock bill
American Woodcock

Black-throated Green Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler

Red-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo

Northern Waterthrush
Northern Waterthrush

Baby Waxwing
Baby Cedar Waxwing

Ovenbird
Ovenbird

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2008

1. Great shots, as usual. So, do you know how the sharp-shinned hawk got it’s name? Knobby knees?

7 August 2008 at 12:59 pm

2. Do you have special traps for the raptors, or did the sharpie just happen to get stuck in a mist net?

7 August 2008 at 1:28 pm

3. All those birds are so cool. I love the mask and the yellow-tipped tail of the Cedar Waxwings. They are just so fabulous! The Northern Waterthrushes seem to always pose. I have yet to see a Woodcock or an Ovenbird. I’m making an effort, though.

7 August 2008 at 2:50 pm

4. Wow, beautiful photos and well worth waiting for. I love the woodcock especially

7 August 2008 at 3:32 pm

5. What happens with the baby Cedar Waxwing? Was its mama nearby waiting for its release? If not, would it be fine on its own?

Thanks for posting some more photos Tom!

7 August 2008 at 4:08 pm

6. Pam

Wow, these are some cool birdies, Tom!!!

7 August 2008 at 9:00 pm

7. AWESOME photos–I especially love the red-eyes birds–the hawk and the vireos. So interesting. And that baby waxwing–I love the “glasses” !

7 August 2008 at 9:35 pm

8. NatureShutterbug

Beautiful shots, and so interesting to see them up close – especially the sharp-shinned. Great to read another of your posts!

7 August 2008 at 10:00 pm

9. LOB

The birds are beautiful (as usual), but having you back is even better! Hope you had a wonderful vacation – you certainly deserve it. We missed our Mon@rch!

7 August 2008 at 10:57 pm

10. They’re all so lovely, of course. Something about the baby waxwing sings to me, though. What a little cutie pie.

8 August 2008 at 1:39 am

11. The sharp shinned hawk is stunning. The baby waxwing certainly had a sour look on his face – made me laugh!

8 August 2008 at 6:03 am

12. Great to see you again. I always look forward to your next post. The photos are amazing as usual.

8 August 2008 at 9:33 am

13. They’re wonderful! I particularly like the woodcock, and the hawk’s eye is fascinating.

8 August 2008 at 3:32 pm

14. Sarah

Glad you are back and that American Wookcock’s beak is crazy long.

8 August 2008 at 4:12 pm

15. Always wonderful to see birds I have never seen so up close. Thank you! I think the little Oven birds are darling.
    Hope your Hummers are having as much fun this year as they did last year.
    Sherry

8 August 2008 at 5:05 pm

16. As usual – your close-ups take my breath away! I love seeing these guys up close!!!

8 August 2008 at 5:11 pm

17. You should start blogging again on a regular basis and get off of WORLD OF WARCRAFT a little more and take 1 hour a day and try to fit in a blog post!!!

8 August 2008 at 8:05 pm

18. Hey Monarch, so glad you posted. Love your photos as usual. Isn’t it unusual to catch a sharpie or a woodcock in the net? If so, what a neat surprise. I’m so glad to see close-ups of the other birds I would not normally see here in CA — red-eyed vireo, northern waterthrush, black-throated green warbler, and ovenbird. Wow! I make it sound like I don’t get to see many birds. ;o)

9 August 2008 at 12:47 am

19. We’ve sure missed you Tom! Beautiful bird shots and a joy to see on this day I am playing catch up with my blog reading. Have a beautiful weekend!

9 August 2008 at 7:59 am

Hey thanks J! I was wondering “which in particular” was keeping him away! LOL

All wonderful shots-love the Woodcock and the Waxwing!

12 August 2008 at 8:46 am

21. Awesome photographs. (All of them!!!) But more awesome would have been to be there with you and get to help with banding. Thanks for sharing the photos.

12 August 2008 at 7:54 pm

22. That Sharpie SO wants to kill you.
    LOVED the woodcock photo! Those huge eyes….makes them look perpetually surprised. Or dumb, I can’t decide which.

13 August 2008 at 3:16 pm

23. The birds look surprisingly tranquil! Is there a certain way of holding them (like a cat’s scruff) that keeps them calm?

Or is it just your reassuring presence that does it? 🙂

13 August 2008 at 4:14 pm

24. Great shots Tom, hope you are doing well, I have been awfully busy and I haven’t been posting much. I will try tyo catch up later !!

26 August 2008 at 11:25 pm