SWAT Banding Day 1

magnolia warbler
Magnolia Warbler – photo by Young Naturalist J

Friday morning we had our first day of banding at the SWAT MAPS (Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship) banding station. We were able to band 24 species of birds and 47 newly banded individuals (with 8 recaptured birds). We had many banding assistants helping this session which were very much needed with all these great birds! Thanks again for their help everyone!

Indigo Bunting
Indigo Bunting

The warblers we caught included the Chestnut-sided Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, and Yellow Warbler. Other highlights were the 10 Cedar Waxwings, Yellow-shafted Flicker, Brown Thrasher, Red-eyed Vireo, Wood Thrush, Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak and my favorite . . . . Warbling Vireo (first for the station)!

Cedar Waxwing
Cedar Waxwing

Brown Thrasher
Brown Thrasher

Warbling Vireo
Warbling Vireo

House Wren
House Wren

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2008

1. I love the closeups you get when you are banding. You get such a sense of the bird that you don’t so much with field photos. You caught the indigo bunting’s iridescent feathers perfectly!

31 May 2008 at 6:06 am

2. Banding does give glorious opportunities – these photos are gorgeous!

31 May 2008 at 7:15 am

3. All so beautiful! The first one made me laugh…he looks kind of mad =) I’m with threecollie…your banding closeups are quite amazing.

31 May 2008 at 7:17 am

4. What they said – great photos, and that first one could give the famous “mad bluebird” a run for the money.

31 May 2008 at 9:24 am

5. Pam

What a great day and wonderful photos, Tom!

31 May 2008 at 9:49 am

6. Great photos — love the wren’s tail all fanned out!

31 May 2008 at 10:34 am

7. Great shots. Glad everything went well.

31 May 2008 at 11:56 am

8. The warbling vireo is such a cutiepie! All the photos are lovely, as usual.

31 May 2008 at 1:13 pm

9. Your banding photos never cease to amaze me. I love the individuation of the feathers. And noticing things like the fact that the upper and lover beak of the indigo bunting seems to be two different colors.

31 May 2008 at 2:21 pm

10. Hi,
    (love your blog! LOVE your photos!!)
    I am so curious about what I saw last night, maybe your expertise can help explain this. Canadian geese hatched goslings in the high mountain desert, away from all water sources! We saw they were distressed without water, so we filled a kiddy pool and left it for them.
    Full story on my (lots of bird art) blog:
    Thanks for comments on this, if you have time!
    I didn’t have my camera, so I just put a collage together to represent the sight.

31 May 2008 at 3:50 pm

11. Lisa at Greenbow

Oh Mon@rch, I wish you had been with us today with your camera. We had a Fork-tailed Flycather. Yes, you read this right. I am still swooning… Sorry, I love your pictures here and look forward to all the lovelies you capture and band.

31 May 2008 at 9:49 pm

12. Breathtaking photos. You get so many great birds to band. The Cedar Waxwings always look so well groomed!

31 May 2008 at 10:07 pm

13. Sarah Hurst

The magnolia warbler looks a little grumpy.

31 May 2008 at 10:45 pm

14. @ Threecollie – Thanks and it is very nice seeing them up close! It was in great lighting!
    @ Birdlady – Thanks and they do for sure!
    @ Rondi – Thanks and it was funny picture for sure! Thanks
    @ Wren – thanks and not sure if it could or not but would be fun to see! BTW: Young Naturalist J took that photo!
    @ Pam – Thanks and was wonderful for sure!
    @ Liza – thanks and they have a cute tail!
    @ Scienceguy – thanks and it was great!
    @ Lana – Thanks and is cute for sure!
    @ Trixie – Thanks and it is amazing seeing the up close!
    @ Lisa – thanks and would haven fun to joined you! The flycatcher would have been a lifer for me!
    @ Linda – Thanks and I loved its crest!
    @ Sarah – thanks and it does look grumpy . . . 🙂

31 May 2008 at 10:53 pm

15. Wonderful photos! I think Young Naturalist J is a great photographer too. 🙂

31 May 2008 at 11:30 pm

16. Such wonderful faces to see so close-up!

1 June 2008 at 7:20 am

Fantastic start-you must be thrilled. Congrats on the Warbling Vireo!
    As usual stellar shots 😀

1 June 2008 at 11:48 am

18. WOW! Great head shots…I love them all!

1 June 2008 at 8:54 pm

19. Bo

These birds just get cuter and cuter with every new photo. The warbler is a marvelous shot.

1 June 2008 at 10:31 pm

20. What sweet birds! Great photos and sounds like a great time!

2 June 2008 at 8:50 pm

21. If that photo is by ‘young naturalist’ — this old naturalist QUITS!!!! 😉 Gorgeous beyond words!!!

3 June 2008 at 5:28 pm

22. Ya know Tom, I never get tired of seeing your close-up pictures of birds. I just love being able to see all the details of their feathers. That Cedar Waxwing is fabulous!

3 June 2008 at 6:08 pm

23. @ Rurality – thanks and he is getting better!
    @ Jayne – sure is great seeing! Thanks
    @ Marg – we had a great time and I was so excited catching the Vireo!
    @ Chicago – thanks and I loved all the birds that didn’t get photographed!
    @ Bo – thanks and was such a great day!
    @ kathiesbirds – thanks and was a great time!
    @ Bird Girl – Thanks and without a doubt don’t quit! You are an amazing photographer!
    @ Ruthie – Thanks and I never get tired of taking the pictures!

3 June 2008 at 7:56 pm

24. Great shots, man! : )

3 June 2008 at 9:46 pm