Birds and Lecture!

Osprey
Osprey on the Power Lines!

I am exhausted after a long day but it was also a great day today! In the morning I was outside eating my oatmeal and heard not one but two Northern Parua’s singing (CHECK). During the day had my first Broad-winged Hawk (CHECK) flying overhead! On Quaker Lake I saw my first Barn Swallow (CHECK) and Cliff Swallow (CHECK) flying under the overspill bridge!! Then after dinner I headed up to the Buffalo Museum of Science with some friends to hear Dr. Geoff Hill’s lecture on Bird Coloration!! Did I mentioned that I am exhausted?? I have a dinner to attend tomorrow evening, so I am off to bed to get some sleep!

Bird Coloration

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2008

1. Oh man. I’ll be on that stage in a month… I’m already freaking out about it. I give two other talks in the next month, too, starting next week.

Gonna post anything about the talk? Whatchya learn about bird colors?

~ Nick

23 April 2008 at 11:55 pm

2. Goodnight! Exhausted is good – it’s so much better then winter night boredom! 🙂 Great shot!

24 April 2008 at 3:28 am

3. Yawn!! I know how you feel..all this travelling then posting is exhausting!! All those birds flying over your head!! hope the camera went click click!

24 April 2008 at 4:03 am

4. @ Nick – You will do fine! Are you talking for the Buffalo Museum?? I thought they said the next talk they are doing is in June! Geoff did a wonderful talk geared towards birdwatchers in how birds get their color!! All textbook stuff on feature structure, age, sex, ect… but he put many great twist on relating many of his photos on his studies that he has been doing!
    @ Aullori – thanks and I only fall very behind on the blog here! I will catch up soon!
    @ Naturegirl – I really didn’t have my camera with me with most of these birds! I probably should have though!

24 April 2008 at 7:27 am

5. Great osprey shot! Glad you’re keeping busy and out of trouble.

24 April 2008 at 7:51 am

6. Really clear shot of the osprey. You seem to be in the right places at the right times to see so many birds!

24 April 2008 at 8:40 am

7. No, I was talking for the BOS. June?!? They forgot about me?? Well, I just checked and I’m still on the website calendar. Whew.

~ Nick

24 April 2008 at 9:37 am

8. Nice ospreys! Stay rested

24 April 2008 at 10:41 am

9. @ Wren – Thanks and not enough time to keep up!
    @ Linda – Thanks and sometimes I feel the same way!
    @ Nick – Last night was an annual lecture hosted by the Buffalo Museum of Science and wasn’t a normal BOS meeting. Sounds like you are scheduled to talk for BOS (which isn’t associated with the museum) and their meeting will not be done in the auditorium (like last night). Good for you for speaking for BOS! They are an interesting group!
    @ Adam – Thanks

24 April 2008 at 12:25 pm

10. Those ospreys are beautiful. Nice shot. Saw our first Barn Swallows of the season. So wonderful to see them soaring.

24 April 2008 at 12:55 pm

11. Is it dangerous for osprey to perch on power lines? Do they ever meet an untimely death tangling with said power lines?

24 April 2008 at 2:07 pm

12. Lisa at Greenbow

Loved seeing the Osprey. Seeing that Green Jay makes me want to go birding. I sure with they didn’t live so far away from me. They are the most beautiful birds. I would never tire of seeing them.

24 April 2008 at 5:10 pm

13. I’m up at Alexandria Bay for a few days of educators’ meetings. Today, we took time off to do a boat tour of that part of the St. Lawrence Seaway. We saw several Osprey nesting, but none up close enough for nice pictures like this one. Very cool!

24 April 2008 at 5:37 pm

14. You could have stopped by for a visit if you would have liked, but oh well. Glad you enjoyed the lecture.

24 April 2008 at 6:02 pm

15. Ah, I understand now! 🙂

24 April 2008 at 7:25 pm

16. NatureShutterbug

Beautiful photo.

24 April 2008 at 9:54 pm

17. lvn600

Great photo! Birding is exciting but can be exhausting too!

24 April 2008 at 10:05 pm

18. calevphoto

Sounds like an interesting lecture. Could you tell us more about it in a future blog?

24 April 2008 at 11:06 pm

19. Better get your rest Tom the summer will be busy and well worth it. Sounds like a great lecture.

25 April 2008 at 7:20 am

20. A birder’s work never ends 😉 Just love that shot of the TWO osprey and you are so CLOSE!! Are you enjoying your new camera?

25 April 2008 at 9:38 am

21. I love the osprey photos–can really see what they look like. Sounds like things are getting very busy for you.

25 April 2008 at 9:39 am

22. Looks like you had a great day Tom, these are the best kind, when you are exhausted doing something you love !! 🙂

25 April 2008 at 3:02 pm

23. WOW! What a busy bird day! Nice finds, it’s so much fun to see and hear the “first” ones of the year.
    🙂

25 April 2008 at 10:48 pm

Whew busy, busy-I’m glad Nick got straightened out-I was worried for him!

Looks like an interesting talk.

26 April 2008 at 7:32 am

25. Mel

What a day! You might be busy, but I’m sure you would do it again anytime 😉

26 April 2008 at 12:15 pm

26. @ Robin – Thanks and is great seeing them return!
    @ KGMom – It can be and we have found them burnt up!
    @ Lisa – thanks and all birds make me want to go birding!
    @ Rondi – Thanks and sounds like a great meeting! Osprey can be tricky like that!
    @ Scienceguy – I went up with a group of people and wasn’t really a situation where your family and I could have visited!
    @ Nick – sweet!
    @ NatureShutterbug- thanks
    @ lvn – thanks and it sure can be!
    @ Calev – its possible but if you google the guy you probably could get better info on some of his publications than what I could do in a post! I have not seen it but I do know he has a website somewhere!
    @ Toni – thanks and this is the start of my busy season!
    @ Bird Girl – Thanks and now its commonly used as the older one was!
    @ Joan – Thanks and for the next 3-4 months it becomes busy!
    @ Bernie – Thanks and it sure is!
    @ Chicago – Thanks and got many more today!
    @ Marg – It was an interesting talk with great photos!
    @ Mel – this is such a great time of the year!

26 April 2008 at 1:28 pm

27. Oh, this is so exciting ~ you see so many birds every day. What a wonderful way to start your morning. 🙂

I’m moving from the suburbs to the city in two weeks, and although I’m excited, I’m very sad to leave my bird friends in Bridgewater. 😦 I talk to them when I’m walking to the train, and sometimes I see a heron flying, or other birds that take my breath away. Coming to your site will be even more meaningful . . . I love your stories and pictures so much!

2 May 2008 at 3:39 pm