Eastern Comma

Eastern Comma

Ok, I guess I can’t officially call this my first of the year due to seeing one back in February. But, temperatures reached the high of 75°F today (warmest for 2008) and was fun seeing them flying around (also had Mourning Cloaks flying around)! I anticipate the next butterfly species that I will find will be the West Virginia White or maybe a Spring Azure?? Can you believe that they are talking that the temperatures will be reaching 80°F by Saturday??

Eastern Comma in hand

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch All Rights Reserved ©2006-2008

1. Wow, the colors are just gorgeous! I’d love to be able to paint of picture of that. But I’m no artist. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for them. He’s being very cooperative having his picture taken.

17 April 2008 at 11:42 pm

2. @ Linda – I probably should have noted that I took these photos the fall of 2002. The one I saw today didn’t let me get a photo (and also didn’t have my camera out)! You are an artist with your pictures!

17 April 2008 at 11:50 pm

3. It’s as if someone flipped a switch, isn’t it? We had a few days of a cool snap, and now… whoosh…. 80 degrees! Pretty, pretty Comma.

18 April 2008 at 6:40 am

4. My husband and I are going to a butterfly/mouth live exhibit today in Grand Rapids Michigan. I’m hoping to get some great photos. I know they are in the wild but it still should be fun.

18 April 2008 at 7:40 am

5. The anglewings are all gorgeous butterflies. Great photo (even if it wasn’t taken yesterday)!

18 April 2008 at 8:41 am

6. 80 degrees sounds wonderful! Have a great weekend and enjoy some of that warm weather for me too (thanks)

18 April 2008 at 8:52 am

7. Bo

I think the butterflies are boycotting my part of Wisconsin. Haven’t seen a one yet. 80˚sounds like heaven. But we hit nearly 60˚ and my mountain ash is finally showing a bit of bud.

18 April 2008 at 9:01 am

8. We had a mini-heat wave already this year — last weekend we had temps in the 90’s. Crazy!

18 April 2008 at 9:17 am

9. What a well camoflaged creature. Just the thought of that animal evolving over thousands of years to achieve its current form is mind boggling.

18 April 2008 at 9:34 am

10. Beautiful shots – one of my favorite common butterflies. Great job at showing both the dorsal and ventral views of these colorful butterflies. You should be seeing some question marks soon, too I would suppose.

I’m heading out tomorrow, and hoping to collect some sightings of warblers, butterflies and odes – wish me luck!

18 April 2008 at 10:22 am

11. Nice shots of butterflies. Did you use any trick to get one to land on your finger – or did it just find your finger appealing?

18 April 2008 at 11:03 am

12. Dear Tom,
    So pretty!
    I also was able to see a few early butterflies before the rains and cooler temps came back.
    Enjoy your weekend!
    Maybe a Hummer will find you.
    Sherry

18 April 2008 at 3:01 pm

13. @ Jayne – It is exactly like a flipped of a switch! Thanks
    @ Jessica – Sounds like fun and I greatly enjoyed the butterfly house in Niagara Falls!
    @ Patrick – They sure are! Thanks I almost got a photo today of one!
    @ Ruthie – I can’t wait and I will be for sure!
    @ Bo – They have to be out somewhere! Maybe tomorrow!
    @ Liza – Isn’t that crazy and is nice for sure!
    @ Scienceguy – It sure is and I love their camo!
    @ Joe – Thanks and sweat they love! I put some on my finger and go from behind! They step right up onto your finger!

18 April 2008 at 3:05 pm

14. @ Sherry – Thanks and hope you find some! Thanks

18 April 2008 at 3:06 pm

15. Lisa at Greenbow

I am just green. No I am not seasick from lying in bed and being rocked by the earthquake even though it did shake me awake this morning. I am green with envy that you are seeing beautiful butterflies. Great pictures too.

18 April 2008 at 3:39 pm

16. The weather has been totally wonderful! Great photos, Tom!

18 April 2008 at 6:34 pm

17. Sara

The kids and I went to the Fredrick Meijer Gardens – Formost’s Butterflies are Blooming exhibit here in GR today. I see we missed Jessica by one day. I think one of our favorite was the Common Morpho. I love that shade of blue. YN D was asking one of the volunteers about where to find chrysalis in the wild. They didn’t seem to know how to answer. Do you ever look for them and if so, what types of places should she look in? She just finished reading a novel about a young girl in Indina who would gather them. She would find some in bushes and some cocoons she even had to dig for.

18 April 2008 at 9:02 pm

18. Your forecast temps for this weekend are the same as ours. Strange.

Great shot of the Eastern Comma. Got to remember the sweat trick.

19 April 2008 at 4:26 am

I just got my first today!

20 April 2008 at 9:01 pm

20. I’ve never seen a Eastern Comma so close before. Really cool shots!

22 April 2008 at 1:08 am