Redstart [Poem]

American Redstart

Fiesta flashes
of vermilion orange
flung from flaming tail,
fire wings
of Cuba’s “Little Candelita”
plummeting upward
in Canadian green
of long spruce
under which
our eyes

By: Maxwell Corydon Wheat, Jr ©

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch Photos ©2006-2008Poem published with authors permission!

1. A wonderful’flutter’ of words to start my morning and these bird photograph – and the birds, too – are fabulous.

2 March 2008 at 8:11 am

2. Another awesome poem and photo Tom – I absolutely love this! You guys make a great team!

2 March 2008 at 8:22 am

3. Beautiful!!! Such colorful words.

2 March 2008 at 8:29 am

4. How colourful and full of energetic motion! A wonderful word portrait.

The photo is beautiful too.

2 March 2008 at 8:52 am

5. I will never forget the first Redstart I saw. It was so bright and tropical looking. The poem describes the bird beautifully.

2 March 2008 at 9:13 am

6. Lovely poem. It was several years after moving here before I had my first Redstart sighting and it was at Presque Isle State Park. I thought I saw some rare bird and had to look it up. But since that day, I see them everywhere. They really are beautiful little birds. I’m always excited to spot one.

2 March 2008 at 9:58 am

7. @ Barb – thanks!! This morning I had a “Max” morning and needed to hear one of his poems!
    @ Pam – thanks and Max is an amazing poet!
    @ Toni – Thanks
    @ Me and your camera – thanks and Max’s poem is so full of heart!
    @ Ruth- Max is soo good with his words! I can never get enough of his poems!
    @ Linda – thanks and they are very common during the summer! Although there song can be tricky!

2 March 2008 at 10:39 am

8. i loved the poem and the beautiful picture of the bird. ~nita~

2 March 2008 at 12:09 pm

9. Well. That is a fine poem. Only one who knows the heart of a warbler could write this line: . . .”tumbling
    plummeting upward . .”

Just wonderful. Yes. Our eyes do ‘tango’ :0)

2 March 2008 at 1:05 pm

10. Oh my gosh ~~ what a gorgeous bird and shot, Tom! I love the poem, too! 🙂

2 March 2008 at 6:11 pm

11. What a beautiful bird and poem! I’m longing for spring and birds

2 March 2008 at 7:07 pm

12. Lisa at Greenbow

This poem made me see a Redstart flipping after a meal. One of my favorite poems so far. Keep up the good work Max.

2 March 2008 at 7:20 pm

13. @ Nita thanks and I appreciate you enjoying this! Hope it helped you smile!
    @ Cathy – I have to agree and Max is just amazing with his words!
    @ Lisa – thanks and something that I felt was needed!
    @ Beth – thanks and I am right with you in longing for spring!
    @ Lisa – I have a few others that he sent me that I just know you will enjoy!

2 March 2008 at 10:09 pm

14. I’m glad they only aren’t found in Canada, but in PA too! Won’t be long before Warblers of all colors will start to be found. Thanks for sharing the poem.

3 March 2008 at 6:16 am

15. @ Vern – warbler colors will be everywhere soon! I so can’t wait! Yeah! Thanks

3 March 2008 at 12:34 pm

16. Great shot of the Redstart!! I spotted my first one last year and was elated. They are just beautiful, but difficult to find in my area. What wonderful words to describe in your poem.

9 March 2008 at 9:34 pm