Redstart [Poem]

American Redstart

Redstart

Fiesta flashes
of vermilion orange
flung from flaming tail,
fire wings
of Cuba’s “Little Candelita”
tumbling
plummeting upward
in Canadian green
of long spruce
under which
our eyes
tango

By: Maxwell Corydon Wheat, Jr ©

RSS feed Subscribe to Mon@rch Photos ©2006-2008Poem published with authors permission!

1. A wonderful’flutter’ of words to start my morning and these bird photograph – and the birds, too – are fabulous.

2 March 2008 at 8:11 am

2. Another awesome poem and photo Tom – I absolutely love this! You guys make a great team!

2 March 2008 at 8:22 am

3. Beautiful!!! Such colorful words.

2 March 2008 at 8:29 am

4. How colourful and full of energetic motion! A wonderful word portrait.

The photo is beautiful too.

2 March 2008 at 8:52 am

5. I will never forget the first Redstart I saw. It was so bright and tropical looking. The poem describes the bird beautifully.

2 March 2008 at 9:13 am

6. Lovely poem. It was several years after moving here before I had my first Redstart sighting and it was at Presque Isle State Park. I thought I saw some rare bird and had to look it up. But since that day, I see them everywhere. They really are beautiful little birds. I’m always excited to spot one.

2 March 2008 at 9:58 am

7. @ Barb – thanks!! This morning I had a “Max” morning and needed to hear one of his poems!
    @ Pam – thanks and Max is an amazing poet!
    @ Toni – Thanks
    @ Me and your camera – thanks and Max’s poem is so full of heart!
    @ Ruth- Max is soo good with his words! I can never get enough of his poems!
    @ Linda – thanks and they are very common during the summer! Although there song can be tricky!

2 March 2008 at 10:39 am

8. i loved the poem and the beautiful picture of the bird. ~nita~

2 March 2008 at 12:09 pm

9. Well. That is a fine poem. Only one who knows the heart of a warbler could write this line: . . .”tumbling
    plummeting upward . .”

Just wonderful. Yes. Our eyes do ‘tango’ :0)

2 March 2008 at 1:05 pm

10. Oh my gosh ~~ what a gorgeous bird and shot, Tom! I love the poem, too! 🙂

2 March 2008 at 6:11 pm

11. What a beautiful bird and poem! I’m longing for spring and birds
    Beth

2 March 2008 at 7:07 pm

12. Lisa at Greenbow

This poem made me see a Redstart flipping after a meal. One of my favorite poems so far. Keep up the good work Max.

2 March 2008 at 7:20 pm

13. @ Nita thanks and I appreciate you enjoying this! Hope it helped you smile!
    @ Cathy – I have to agree and Max is just amazing with his words!
    @ Lisa – thanks and something that I felt was needed!
    @ Beth – thanks and I am right with you in longing for spring!
    @ Lisa – I have a few others that he sent me that I just know you will enjoy!

2 March 2008 at 10:09 pm

14. I’m glad they only aren’t found in Canada, but in PA too! Won’t be long before Warblers of all colors will start to be found. Thanks for sharing the poem.
    Vern

3 March 2008 at 6:16 am

15. @ Vern – warbler colors will be everywhere soon! I so can’t wait! Yeah! Thanks

3 March 2008 at 12:34 pm

16. Great shot of the Redstart!! I spotted my first one last year and was elated. They are just beautiful, but difficult to find in my area. What wonderful words to describe in your poem.

9 March 2008 at 9:34 pm