Wordless Wednesday – Red Squirrel

a Happy Red Squirrel

Going into the archives, this is a fave shot from last year.

1. rick

these guys are so cute tom

21 August 2007 at 10:24 pm

2. Cute is not the word I would use. I “worked from home” today and whenever a squirrel would get near any of the birdfeeders we would turn on the sprinkler we had set up right in the right spot. My son and I took turns dousing them. One of us would turn on the water to the hose (inside the garage) and the other would watch out the window to enjoy the squirrel scramble. I hope I don’t get kicked off your blog for this kind of tom-foolery.

21 August 2007 at 10:33 pm

3. It’s nice to see a Red Squirrel for a change instead of the usual grey squirrels.-Seems like your trying to speed up time a bit!

21 August 2007 at 10:34 pm

4. I refuse to be taken in by the cuteness of this evil creature, they are masters of mayhem and drive me and my neighbors crazy. They may look like something out of a Disney movie but let em near your feeders and see what happens.

21 August 2007 at 10:34 pm

5. @ Rick – thanks
    @ Barb – LOL and I would never report you as being spam! These guys are number two after birds in killing nestlings! They eat so many eggs and babies in the nest!! High five to you and your son!
    @ Larry – would share for sure! We have not seen many grays this year?? I wonder why??
    @ Bernie – LOL, they sure can be evil sometimes! I do have a squirrel proof feeder which works! They do make cute photos though!

21 August 2007 at 10:37 pm

6. Too bad the Yankee Flipper doesn’t work for these little red squirrels. I’d have so much fun watching ours flip off the bird feeder. I was so disappointed when I found out they are too little. I had high hopes that I’d get revenge on the little thief.

They even eat begonias flower petals. But you have to just love that little red face, with its round nose and round ears. They’re soooo cute and I’d miss their antics and the game we play of trying to outsmart them if they were gone.

21 August 2007 at 11:27 pm

7. winterwoman

I thought this photo looked familiar. I remember it from last year.

22 August 2007 at 5:32 am

8. We have a couple of red squirrels in our yard. In fact, they took over the only bird house I have after doing home renovations to suit themselves. This little one looks eager and inquisitive.

22 August 2007 at 6:43 am

9. I hadn’t seen that before – great photo. I’m amazed you were able to get one standing still! We have a lot of reds around here, and we feed them too (no choice, but hey, that’s OK). I really enjoy them and the kids love them too. I know, I know…we’re hopeless.

22 August 2007 at 6:53 am

10. Sadly the red squirrels are becoming very rare here in the UK. Lovely photo and Happy WW
    Ruth

22 August 2007 at 7:26 am

Well I use to think they were cute, before I knew about their terrorist ways with birds……aw heck I still think they’re cute-but I don’t have to like them!

22 August 2007 at 9:35 am

12. Thanks for being kind enough to link to me.
    We have both reds and greys…but they at least stay away from the house and feeders.

22 August 2007 at 9:38 am

13. That’s the cutest terrorist ever! I have a love/hate thing with these guys…my baffles keep them off the feeders, but they regularly take over my bird houses, and steal stuffing from my patio cushions for nesting. (Caught one “red”-handed.) Lately I’ve found piles of pine-cone scraps everywhere, mostly on my deck railings and furniture. Makes me think, “Are you comfortable sir? Everything okay at this table? May I bring you something to drink?” Cute little buttholes!

22 August 2007 at 9:43 am

14. Red squirrels are cuter than the gray ones. He could sit in my feeder and gorge all day and I couldn’t yell at him. Look at that face and cute little ears!

22 August 2007 at 11:36 am

15. @ Argonaut – I would have figured it would have done something to them! Hmm! They are cute for sure!
    @ Jen – it’s one of my faves and don’t remember ever using on the blog! We have just had way too much rain recently to be taking pictures!
    @ Ruth – I have had them do that before also! Crazy little critters!
    @ Laura – It was one of those shots that happened quickly and I was their at the right second!
    @ Ruth – I would be happy to share some red-squirrels with ya! Thanks
    @ Marg – they can be evil for sure! Thanks
    @ Threecollie – no worries and glad to have done so! I remember when we use to have one in our attic, ugg they make so much noise!
    @ Lisa – LOL they are cute little buttholes but can be bad for sure! Glad the Baffle works, sometimes they don’t!
    @ Mary – I would be happy to send them down to you! Thanks!

22 August 2007 at 1:27 pm

16. OMG ~ I love his little ears! What an awesome capture, Tom. 🙂

22 August 2007 at 2:43 pm

17. These little squirrels are too regular at our feeders most days to be favourites; but its eye reminds me of an Ovenbird’s which I photographed this morning and I feel very favourable about that; more seriously tho, great squirrel picture.

22 August 2007 at 3:05 pm

18. What a little cutie! He looks like he’s smiling at you!

22 August 2007 at 4:14 pm

19. I know they’re naughty, but their cuteness helps them get away with a lot in my backyard. That’s a great picture, Tom.

22 August 2007 at 4:17 pm

20. Nice

22 August 2007 at 4:43 pm

21. Is this the little squirrel featured in ‘Over The Hedge’? Hammy, I think. Have you seen this movie?! I’m not a cartoon fan – in fact I’m a pretty discerning movie critic. But it’s hysterical.

Darling picture, Tom :0)

22 August 2007 at 6:44 pm

22. He’s adorable. I’m glad you picked this photo for a summer rerun.

22 August 2007 at 8:34 pm

23. Michael Head

I am no fan of red squirrels. There is a reason they are classed as varmits in most states (including NY) and can be shot at any time and in any number. I believe that I have heard that Grays and blacks can not coexist with these critters.

22 August 2007 at 9:24 pm

24. @ Lisa – scratch , scratch they are cute, thanks!
    @ You and your camera – thanks for your kind words and can’t wait to see that ovenbird picture!
    @ Pam – camera less, when you smile nicely at your subjects, they smile back! I just yelled acorns and he smiled!
    @ Ruthie – Thanks and they are cute, I can’t argue that fact!
    @ VEERY – thanks
    @ Cathy – Hmm, I don’t think so but sounds great! Will try to check out!
    @ Wren – welcome and it has been raining soo much recently, I had to do something for WW!
    @ Mike – We do get these two species together in the yard! They can be trouble for sure!

22 August 2007 at 10:52 pm

25. great shot! Beautiful!

28 August 2007 at 1:03 am