Fledged the Nest Just in Time

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Last week while hiking around Red House Lake I heard the calling of some baby birds in a tree! I watched from a distance and within 10 minutes this female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker quickly jammed her head in this hole and started feeding her young.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

I returned the following morning to try and capture some pictures with better lighting. I waited for quite a while with no activity and finally give up waiting. While walking away there were some calls of babies in a neighboring tree. The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker fledglings must have just left the nest that morning and was follow mom around!! It was soo cute!!

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

This evening I found this same branch that these birds were nesting in lying on the ground. It has only been a week since they fledge the nest and it must have been their fait to leave when they did.

The hole up close! On the ground

Old Nesting Log Laying on the Ground.

1. Oh my–left in the nick of time. That is amazing. Do birds sense impending doom?

9 July 2007 at 9:49 pm

2. It is amazing how well the bird blends with the tree. Makes me wonder how many birds I miss seeing altogether.

10 July 2007 at 12:01 am

3. I am certainly glad to know that they had already fledged before their house came crashing down! EEK! You have to wonder if mom and dad were suspicious of all those creaking noises they were hearing? :c)

10 July 2007 at 6:41 am

4. That mom was wearing her best camo duds! How lucky for you to have noticed all that you did. Lucky birds too!! 🙂

10 July 2007 at 7:37 am

5. Maybe she knew? I’d never see that bird on a tree – she blends in color.

10 July 2007 at 10:24 am

6. I certainly wouldn’t have seen that bird unless I heard it and looked for movement and even then I may not have spotted it. Some people have eagle eyes, I’m not one of them. That’s why it is great to have your blog show us the details! How amazing they left when they did.

10 July 2007 at 11:33 am

7. Auspicious departure! Glad to hear that they got out of there in time. And nice shots of this sapsucker, too. I wish I could find these around us (they’re there, but I can never find one).

10 July 2007 at 1:19 pm

8. What a neat story, Tom. Did you even know they were nesting there? I’m happy they were able to leave the nest before disaster struck.

10 July 2007 at 2:29 pm

9. Ooh-that was close!-Tom-I tagged you for an 8 random facts Meme.Check my 7/10/07 post if you want to participate.-thanks

10 July 2007 at 5:34 pm

10. Cool birdie butt shot in the first photo! I’m so glad the birdies left before the tree fell!

10 July 2007 at 5:51 pm

11. winterwoman

Oh my gosh… I’m reading (sporadically) Jaguar Totem by Anne LaBastille (a signed copy by the way) and she described a situation where they were on the hunt for a bird… which I can’t remember right now… but their nesting cavity crashed to the ground, too.

10 July 2007 at 8:01 pm

Whew good timing kids!

11 July 2007 at 7:59 am

13. @ KGMom – I didn’t plan on posting those pictures because the lighting wasn’t the best but once that branch fell, then I just knew that I had to play around with photoshop to make them better enough to post!
    @ Ruth – they are very camo! I heard them before seeing them for sure!
    @ Jayne – One of those things that you encounter that really makes you think.
    @ Lynne – she did have the camo on for sure! Thanks
    @ Mary – maybe it was her luck since it happened around 7/7/07
    @ Linda – They were very vocal and you would have heard it for sure! I am very happy for them leaving when they did!
    @ Marty – Surprised you have none around you!
    @ Ruthie – thanks – I knew their had been some in the area but never figured out the hole (they had many in the tree) until the bird flew to the spot!
    @ Larry – thanks, had many tag me for the same thing!
    @ Pam – I am also, thanks!
    @ Jen – isn’t that ironic! Thanks
    @ Marg – it all goes back to the good planning of laying the eggs by mom!

11 July 2007 at 12:27 pm

14. Well. It’s so good to hear a happy ending. We had a large limb come down right beside us at an outdoor coffee shop. English Sparrows had made a nest in a cavity that gave way before the young had fledged.

11 July 2007 at 3:45 pm

15. Grace

How do you get the woodpeckers to stay on your side of the tree? They always scoot around the trunk as soon as I spot them.

11 July 2007 at 6:49 pm