Opening of a State Park

Sign Reveling

Today the Allegany Region opened our newest State Park called; Midway State Park. It has taken over two years to purchase and take over this amazing new State Park. It had first opened 109 years ago and now falls under the operation of New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.

Helicopter

We will be preserving Midway’s integrity and continuing its tradition of being a child’s amusement park (as requested by our local community). What is unique about this purchase is that it is the first “state owned” amusement park.

waterboat

It was wonderful being a part of opening up a new park, yet alone seeing what goes into running an amusement park. We had over 300 kids running around today and every one of them had a huge smile on their face running from ride to ride. It would have been a major loss seeing such an important historic park turning into condos.

Kids Heroes

The pictures will tell the whole story of how my day went!!

carousel Roller Costar

Joe didn't let me win that looks like work

1. Looks like great fun. You had a beautiful day for it!

25 May 2007 at 11:21 pm

2. Spongebob Tom Pants? Looks like a fantastically fun day. How cool to preserve this neat park!

26 May 2007 at 12:38 am

3. Doh!! I was going to say “Spongebob Tom Pants”!!! it sure looks like a fund day was had by all. It’s terrific that you were a part of it.

26 May 2007 at 3:16 am

4. Where exactly is this park? We go to Oswego, NY (where I grew up) every summer to visit my father. My kids would really enjoy this park. Thanks!

26 May 2007 at 11:35 am

5. Now that’s my kind of fun! Nothing better than children laughing.

“Spongebob Tom Pants” – that’s hilarious!

26 May 2007 at 7:48 pm

6. Grace

I hate to disillusion all Tom’s fans, but Spongebob was Allegany State Park naturalist Randy Abbott, Shrek was naturalist Heidi Tschopp, Snow White was recreation assistant Katie Taylor, and Sugar Maple, the New York State tree, was lead naturalist Adele Wellman.

Tom, as you might have guessed, was the official photographer for the event, with his trusty Nikon D 70 s.

26 May 2007 at 9:03 pm

7. @ Barb – it was a wonderful day, thanks!
    @ Liz – It is great they did! I probably should also have uploaded a photo I have of spongebob and myself (took for my nephew who loves him).
    @ Lynne – Was soo glad to have been a part of this, thanks!
    @ Mom unplugged – this is located in South Western New York State off Chautauqua Lake.
    @ Mary – lol and all kinds of fun for sure!
    @ Grace – thanks what a wonderful job they did with the kids! Fave’s of all the little ones!

26 May 2007 at 9:33 pm

8. -Looks like fun-they should have a new game on midway designed for birders.

27 May 2007 at 6:38 pm