Hide and Go Seek in Allegany State Park

Is it under the rock or under the log, just maybe it is located right next to where you are standing? Geocaching has become today’s modern scavenger hunt. To the unknown geocaching eye, you probably have one across from your local grocery store or in your local park. Some people find the hide within seconds and the next person could spend hours searching. What makes this sport fun is that you never know what you will find until you start searching. Geocaching could take you too many locations you would have never visited without the encouragement of finding that cache.

Geocaches are containers of different sizes and the coordinates, description and the clues are listed on the www.geocaching.com website. Once you locate the cache with a GPS unit, your team can log their find into the log book. Larger caches will have trade trinkets for the kids of all ages. You are then encouraged to return back to the website and report your findings on the cache page. Standard equipment needed includes a GPS receiver, compass, writing utensil, bug spray and comfortable walking shoes.

You can locate over 20 different geocaches here in Allegany State Park with many others just outside park property. Families, single individuals, young and old are all out trying to find these hidden treasures here in the park. Some can be accessed by bike while most others include short or longer hike to find the cache. Always double check the difficulty and terrain level before starting your search.

Many events are schedule across Western New York and this year Allegany State Park, New York Geocaching Organization, Kinzua Area Cachers and the Keystone Cachers are planning a picnic event on the 19th of May 2007 called Geobash II. This is our second year for this event and we expect many more than last year’s 300ish attendance. The picnic is open to anyone who would like to attend and learn more about geocaching. Detailed planning on this event is available at Allegany State Park Geobash II website.

If you would like to learn how to start geocaching, please visit the New York Geocaching Organization’s website at www.ny-geocaching.org.

** Pictures taken with my camera phone, sorry about the quality.

1. This sounds like great fun!

30 March 2007 at 9:11 pm

2. Sounds like fun Mon@rch. I’ve always been intrigued by geocaching.

30 March 2007 at 9:40 pm

3. @ Nature Woman – tons of fun! Not enough hours in the day to get out to cache!
    @ Barb – sure is! Lots of geocaches up in your area!

30 March 2007 at 9:48 pm

4. Our local paper ran a story about a year ago about geocaching. It intrigued me. Also sounds like an activity for someone a tad younger than me!

31 March 2007 at 2:02 pm

5. I’ll have to look into geocaching now that I have a GPS (found it trailside about 9 months ago – woohoo!). I like the idea of it taking you places you wouldn’t necessarily otherwise visit.

31 March 2007 at 7:29 pm

6. A great idea for the adventurous type. And don’t apologize for the photo. This is interesting.

31 March 2007 at 9:04 pm

7. I saw someone playing a similar game today. I think it’s a great idea. I wouldn’t mind trying it some time myself.

31 March 2007 at 11:44 pm

8. I have done something similar to geocaching…Geoff and I did some letterboxing back when we were younger and unencumbered by small children.

1 April 2007 at 12:31 am

9. I’ve never heard of that! Really interesting and what a great way to get people out in the woods!

1 April 2007 at 9:20 am

10. Michael Head

Great pictures and a great explanation. The venerable cache in your second picture was retrieved from the woods for final retirement on 3/31/07. I slid the application for its successor under the receptionists office door on Saturday afternoon!

I can attest to seeing things geocaching I would never have other wise seen.

1 April 2007 at 4:58 pm

11. @ KGMom – you can be sure that many people geocache at ALL ages!
    @ Adam – be sure to check it out, I bet you have many caches in your area (they have them everywhere around the world).
    @ Mary – thanks
    @ Larry – there are people all over the place doing this! It is a wonderful sport!
    @ Susan – Letterboxing is like Geocaching!!
    @ Laura – It is a very fun sport and they can be located in a library, at the football field, in a street sign, just about anywhere and everywhere they can be found (not just the woods)!
    @ Mike – thanks and will looking for it when I go in the office tomorrow morning! I have seen alot but I agree, I have seen some great things while out caching!

1 April 2007 at 9:46 pm