A few of my bird feeders

squirrel proof feeder

I got this squirrel proof feeder three years ago after my old barn feeder was chewed open by a Gray Squirrel. It didn’t take long before the squirrels tried every trick in book to steal those seeds from me. It was hilarious watching them with their continued failed attempts and I think the squirrels have finally given up trying. But, it didn’t take long before I learned that the feeder was not Raccoon or even Black Bear proof. Now I take the feeder down each night and place it back up in the morning. This is a wonderful bird feeder which I would recommend to anyone that has problems with Squirrels!

Lean-to Shelter

This is a lean-to feeder which allows birds to hide under it when eating their seeds. It was made by some friends who made it for me after I complemented how much I liked theirs. I have found that the sparrows, chickadees and dove species are the most commonly found birds using it.

feeder bird

This shelter allows the birds a safer location to feed from predators like the Sharp-shinned or Coopers Hawk.

1. Didi

You have Black bears ?..
    That is one beauty I prefer to see in the Zoo ;-))

13 January 2007 at 4:33 pm

2. I need squirrel and deer proof feeders here. I got tired of feeding everyone *except* the birds. Good idea to take it down every night!

I like your lean-to feeder too, to help make our friends safe!

13 January 2007 at 4:41 pm

3. I gulped when I saw the tufted titmouse… I got a photo of one today, and I’m proud 🙂

I love the ground feeder! That’s a terrific idea, portable, and would provide a step up for me to work on the tall feeder. Hmmm. I like it.

13 January 2007 at 5:04 pm

4. @ Didi – sure do have black bears! If you look at the pictures in my mammals checklist, and you will see one stealing my seeds from that feeder! I have to or I find it all bent up in the morning! Thanks for commenting!
    @ Nature Woman – This feeder is too high up for the deer to get into but if I leave the thistle feeder out, they break into it! Thanks for commenting!
    @ Mary – I have another picture of that Tufted that I should probably prepare for flickr for you! They are such cute little birds! Thanks for commenting!

13 January 2007 at 10:31 pm

5. Rick

i like the idea of the lean to feeder. the fluffy bird is also very cute.

13 January 2007 at 11:48 pm

6. I’ve never found a feeder that a squirrel couldn’t wheedle their way into – but I found I could make it so difficult as to be not worth it. Glad to see that yours is holding up better.

As for the bears, I’d risk it just to see one – one of the 5 animals I want to see (great white shark, mountain lion, orca, bear (black or grizzly) and rattlesnake). Yeah, call me weird. Again.

14 January 2007 at 12:37 am

7. My parents live in the high Sierras and have to take their bear (I mean bird) feeders down at night too. Their black bears will do ANYTHING for a thistle seed feeder gorge!

I’ll look for a squirrel-proof feeder like yours. I’m fed up feeding the squirrels.

Love that junco picture at the bottom. It looks fluffy and like it was dipped in the snow.

14 January 2007 at 12:18 pm

8. Our feeders don’t come with Tufted Titmice but usually they’re at the forest preserves. A leanto feeder would be a good idea now as a band of snow is passing through tonight.

14 January 2007 at 11:13 pm

9. Thanks Everyone for visiting and commenting!
    @ Rick – thanks!
    @ Marty – believe it or not, this feeder works! But, when you live in bear country, they have bent this feeder up numerous times! Lucky it is metal and I have been able to bend it back! They are very exciting to see though (bears)!
    @ Egrets Nest – Yes, those bears will continue to return unless you take those feeders down! BTW: got mine at Home Depot!
    @ Birdfreak – LOL, wish all feeders come with Titmice! They do enjoy hiding in there when it is snowing!

15 January 2007 at 12:08 am

Aw I love the puffed up Junco! I wish I could have a feeder when I did the seed fell on the balcony and the squirrels ate through the woods to get as them, and for some reason my landlord didn’t like that 😉

15 January 2007 at 4:36 am

11. Poo hoo on your landlord! I was on the 9th floor when I lived in an apartment in Pittsburgh. It didn’t take long to get Cardinals, Chickadees and House Sparrows as regular visitors. My room mates thought I was nuts!

15 January 2007 at 10:39 am

12. Interesting feeder. I would like to see that one.

Today a Cooper’s got a Mourning Dove at my feeder. Haven’t seen him in awhile. When I logged him in I noted that the Cooper’s got a Goldfinch same day last year and not one since until today.

17 January 2007 at 12:13 am

13. Jerry – thanks for visiting and such an amazing sighting having your coopers visit on the same day last year!

18 January 2007 at 12:48 am

14. Ann

Loved the photos. How about sharing the name of that neat, green metal feeder? The only squirrel-proof feeder I found was called “Hylarious Birdfeeder”..lasted for 15 years and really was squirrel-proof. But I can’t find it again here in Fla.

15 April 2007 at 8:06 pm

15. Ann – not sure the name of it but got it at Home Depot 2-3 years ago! Wish I knew the name of it, sorry!

15 April 2007 at 8:46 pm

16. I am making one of those shelters ASAP

23 December 2010 at 8:20 pm

17. I am building one of those shelters ASAP I feed the
    squirrels however there are hawks around here

23 December 2010 at 8:21 pm