Stocking Fish in Allegany State Park

Brook Trout

Today I had the opportunity to help with some stocking of Brook Trout here in Allegany State Park. I was only able to participate with a few stops but today they proposed throwing in about a thousand fishies into the streams! Not being a fisherman, I was amazed at how colorful and beautiful these Brook Trout are.

Stocking Trucks

The fish hatchery’s large trucks would pull up along the stream and then load the trout into the buckets. The many helpers would then carry the fish off to the stream to be released.

Filling the buckets! Brook Trout

I had a great time and I figured that these five photos would sum up everything we did. While the hour or so that I was out in the field, I saw Cliff Swallows and Rough-winged Swallows skimming for insects. The Cliff Swallow was a first for 2007 for me (CHECK) and the Rough-winged Swallows were first seen last Wednesday (CHECK) along Red House Lake (little late reporting to everyone).

Throwing into the streams

About these ads

1. Cool – that’d be an interesting activity to assist with! Great photos as usual.

27 April 2007 at 1:16 pm

2. Wow–ever since my first trip to a hatchery a few years ago, I’ve been in love with trout. They’re so beautiful and vibrant! Thanks for the photo-documentary!

27 April 2007 at 1:26 pm

3. I don’t always get out to participate with many of the stocking, ect.. to be honest this was my first fish stocking that I was able to go out with the group and do. Was fun for the time I was able to head out!

27 April 2007 at 2:39 pm

4. Those are beautiful fish! Hasty Brook is a trout stream and there are supposed to be brook trout in there.

27 April 2007 at 3:27 pm

5. Wonderful to see restoration… good news in a troubled environment.

27 April 2007 at 5:41 pm

6. From getting to hold birds to getting to hold fish! That covers a lot of living territory.
    I am amazed at the two trucks with their trout bins (I have no idea what they are officially called) on the back.

27 April 2007 at 7:26 pm

7. @ Lynne – they sure and and the wild ones are even more colorful!
    @ Shutterbug – thanks and being a state park they give many opportunities to those out fishing!
    @ KGMom – I like holding things, you forgot the snake! Not sure what they are called but holds a bunch of fishies!

27 April 2007 at 11:27 pm

8. Hey! Nice Fish!

Brookies are truly beautiful and are one of the few native fishes here in Minnesota.

I’m glad you got in on the stocking and got to see their colors up close. :)

28 April 2007 at 12:39 am

9. I love brook trout. I would have enjoyed doing that.
    I am a fishermen but less so since I started birding. I always admired the beauty of trout-especially wild brook trout.

28 April 2007 at 3:45 pm

10. I would have loved being involved in this. Most people don’t realize the beauty of fish unless you watch them closely. Sounds like a great time!

28 April 2007 at 8:01 pm

11. @ Randy – Was fun for the short time I was able to help! We do have wild brook trouts and I hear they have many more color than these guys do!
    @ Larry – they get many helpers. I know many go fishing to do the birding more than fishing!
    @ Mary – Look in your area, I bet they do this down their also! All you have to do is ask! I like looking at everything up close (as you can tell)!

28 April 2007 at 11:41 pm

12. I remember watching them stock the creeks a few days before the opening of fishing season when I was a kid. Luckily, they knew and trusted us not to ‘jump the gun’ and start fishing early. But I still never caught any of those big ones…

1 May 2007 at 9:00 pm